X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strait ark in suburi

Hello again! well anyway the whenever i do suburi i notice that my shinai weaves... I know this is a result of using too much of one hand and disrupting te-no-uchi. My classmate tells me i should use more of my left hand (which i have been practicing) however i notice that my left hand is doing most of the work and i barely hold it with my right hand. I tried to correct this to however i forget and my right hand takes complete control (once again). I tried the newspaper technique (I still dont get it) but basically my main problem is the fact my shinai swerves noticably from left to right. Does anyone have any suggestions in correcting this?

Hmm, sounds like you're still "cranking" too much with your right arm. Try doing joge-buri and other suburi in front of a mirror at home, slowly at first, then gradually faster. Make sure it's straight and that the power comes from your left forearm/wrist, the guidance from the right. Your power should be coming from your left, and you can do katate-men to improve it. When your cut looks straight in the mirror, just keep on doing it, your body will learn intuitively.

Originally posted by kageXkaze
    Hello again! well anyway the whenever i do suburi i notice that my shinai weaves... I know this is a result of using too much of one hand and disrupting te-no-uchi. My classmate tells me i should use more of my left hand (which i have been practicing) however i notice that my left hand is doing most of the work and i barely hold it with my right hand. I tried to correct this to however i forget and my right hand takes complete control (once again). I tried the newspaper technique (I still dont get it) but basically my main problem is the fact my shinai swerves noticably from left to right. Does anyone have any suggestions in correcting this?

Comment

sorry about this question im new ^_^;

joge suburi is one handed (left hand) suburi correct?

Comment

joge-buri is cutting towards the floor. One-handed is katate-suburi.
        Not cutting completly straight is something everybody struggles with (to various degrees). The key is to find out where it starts to wander to sides and you can correct it from there.

Jakob

Comment

Relax your shoulders, and practice a lot more. It will come.

Comment

Jo = High (as in Jodan)
            Ge = Low (as in Gedan)
            Furi [buri] = to raise
            Ergo: JoGeBuri

Comment

Hi,

I am also a beginner. I found practicing suburi in front of a mirror very helpfull. This way I am able to watch my footwork and my shoulders and I can make sure I swing the shinai on the centerline.

Good luck and have fun ;-)

meow

Comment

I observed something that happens very often to me and some other people in my dojo : When I look at my target and think of only hitting it, well my hit just miss or don't hit right on Da Spot! Maybe if you don't look your shinai to see if it's in the correct path it may stop wobling. something i like to do, after reading someone's post, is to not cut everything that isn't men, like imagining (spl?) a big funnel leading to the men. It sometimes work :-)

Comment

Probably too late for this thread

Another good thing to focus on is your shoulders. Ideally, most of your power should come from your shoulders. Practice keeping your arms relatively still and use your shoulders to lift and swing down. I guarantee you that you'll cut straighter.

Comment

Working...
                  X