Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training plan

Hello everybody:

First of all i would like to congratulate all the members for keeping a respectable "conversation". It's hard to see tis kind of respect in other forums. This is my very first post.

Regarding this thread...

I started training Kendo about 5 weeks ago. It's being a wonderful experience, and i seem to become addicted. All i can think of is Kendo!!

I practice 3 times 1H30M a week, and I want more. I'm considering doing some "homework", by means of a training plan that will allow me to improve on some aspects that clearly desperate improvement. I don't know the terms, so i will try to explain the best i can:

- Footwork. Extreme lack of coordination when moving in diagonal, especially from top left to bottom right. Even slowly, i keep messing it up puting the left foot ahead of the right one.

- Footwork. Moving rapidly forward and backward. When i try to move as fast as i can, i notice a lack of balance when i change the way i'm moving (forward->backward and backward->forward). I can't seem to accelerate as I should!!

- Left hand/arm strenght. Well, lack of it, actually.

- Overall slow performance. This impresses me the most. I'm 1.90m (6'2'') and weight 91kg (200 pounds) and my body just lags... I see some other kendoka they just seem to fly past me...

These are my upmost weaknesses. I'm specially worried about the last two.

Can any one share their training plans (home work, specially) or at least point out some exercises to improve those issues...

Thanks

Jose

For left arm strength, I do one handed suburi (don't know what the correct term is). There's no need to do it fast at first - you don't want to injure yourself. Just make sure you have total control over the shinai then work from there.

Comment

Your size is like mine. I am 1.86 m and is also starting kendo. My sensei tell me not to think about striking fast but a correct and accurate swing. Moreover, he also taught me to lean forward so that I can take off faster. (I don't get how to do this but hope this helps you). For left hand, swing a shorter shinai with one hand for few weeks. You can see great improvement.

Comment

I feel I can't move quickly enough, although I try to.

Does anyone know good exercises to increase speed (My personal speed, moving, not the speed of the shinai)?

Comment

Originally posted by jcpr
          I feel I can't move quickly enough, although I try to.

Does anyone know good exercises to increase speed (My personal speed, moving, not the speed of the shinai)?
          Hi there,

I startet kendo about the same time you did.

I guess for us beginners its not yet important to worry about speed. I think it is better to concentrate on technique and do it slow but correct. (Or at least doing it better than when doing it fast...)

We started practicing kirikaeshi two or three weeks ago and the beginners were told to do it slowly and concentrate on technique, not doing it fast and deliver crappy men hits.

I think, speed will come after some time.

greetings

meow

Comment

Originally posted by meow
            Hi there,

I startet kendo about the same time you did.

I guess for us beginners its not yet important to worry about speed. I think it is better to concentrate on technique and do it slow but correct. (Or at least doing it better than when doing it fast...)

We started practicing kirikaeshi two or three weeks ago and the beginners were told to do it slowly and concentrate on technique, not doing it fast and deliver crappy men hits.

I think, speed will come after some time.

greetings

meow
            ~

Yes... I agree with you! But that's not what I was talking about. I'll try to explain better this time.

I also concentrate on technique perfection over speed. I do it very slowly to do it right.

However, I feel my body is lagging an awful lot. I'm not complaining about speed while performing any kind of moves. I'm talking about general speed, moving back and forward for instance, just trying to keep the tips of the shinai in touch.
            I believe this will improve over time, but I would like to give it a little help.

Also, anyone know any exercises to strenghten my left arm?

Comment

I've been at kendo for only a month and I know what you mean about "lagging" I'm 6'3" 244lbs. You feel clumsy right? I know I do, my teacher basically told me to do footwork, footwork, footwork, footwork. I'm feeling better and I also do lots of one handed Men Hits just using the Left arm. I found my calves were burning the worse so I started running 2 miles everyday, Doing "The Airbourne Shuffle" (which is running but mostly on your toes taking short shuffeling steps) That really helps.

Good luck and as in everything Practise

Comment

Working...
              X