X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stamina / diabetes

ive had a problem with my stamina for the past 2 years which coicidently is the same length of time ive had diabetes.
    im only 34 so i dont feel too old just knackered. - after practice my blood sugar drops rapidy - which is of no suprise / nor a problem.
    before and during practice im downing redbulls to keep my sugar high and hopefully energy levels. but i still find myself having to pull out and take a breather when before i could easily continue waza after waza no matter the weather too.
    so big question is - is it the diabetes/ getting old/ being unfit/ something i havent considered???
    any tips on gaining stamina???
    i always used to be a 100m 200m runner 400m was just past my breaking point of burst of energy. is it just nature???
    any stamina tips on food or drink or exercise would be greatly appreciated.
    thankyou for reading my post.
    also im going for my 2 dan this summer. what with the japanese humidity and the hundreds of hot sweaty people ive been put off for 4 years. but this year i feel my kendo is good enough but 5 days of full training for the 2 dan my stamina will be screwed. i could just take the test and not the training but id feel better keeping up with the same level group and not just buying my 2 dan rather than earning it.
    Last edited by neanderthal; 20th April 2012, 08:09 PM.

Originally posted by neanderthal View Post
    ]but 5 days of full training for the 2 dan my stamina will be screwed. i could just take the test and not the training but id feel better keeping up with the same level group and not just buying my 2 dan rather than earning it.
    You do not earn grades by participating in some gruelsome training camps but longtime commitment.
    If you feel ready, just go and pay for it. No need to make it harder by exhausting yourself unnecessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by krys View Post
      You do not earn grades by participating in some gruelsome training camps but longtime commitment.
      If you feel ready, just go and pay for it. No need to make it harder by exhausting yourself unnecessarily.
      sadly through experience sho dan and 2 dan just look like they are bought. so long as your kata is fine.
      just too many junior high and high school students to individually examine.

well through sickness and health and pain and breathlessness ive put my time in twice/three times a week for years. but still feel the extra 5 days of solid practice would benefit especially before a test. it feels more earnt than bought. which i know is more the truth.

my teachers have all said i will easily pass it. but to be proud i feel i need to suffer with the rest to earn it. it is kendo in japan after all. LOL - they only take it serious at the 3dan level in my opinion and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by krys View Post
        i appreciate your reply.

but im still short on stamina which means im not getting as much out of trainning as i wish i could. im pushing it to the limit but just know there is more i can and could do with more stamina.

Comment

If shodan and nidan can 'just be bought' in Japan then theres something wrong with the system. That said you don't have to train like you do for hachidan either. Instead of training 5 days before the test perhaps do just 3 days.

As far as your question regarding stamina and diabetes. I assume you are type 2 diabetes. Drinking red bulls are not really a good thing for stamina, it overdrives your system and actually takes away from stamina for a short term increase in drive. What you should do instead is to eat a balanced meal a few hours before your practice and make sure you take some some snacks to help keep your blood sugar up if it starts to lower. And what I mean by snacks would be fruit or fruit juice or something like that and not a super sweet sugary thing. Bananas are good because they help replace potassium and have a good amount of fructose, grapes are also pretty good. Get into a regimen of eating well and slowly increasing your stamina doing hayashi suburi and bike riding etc on off practice days.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
            If shodan and nidan can 'just be bought' in Japan then theres something wrong with the system. That said you don't have to train like you do for hachidan either. Instead of training 5 days before the test perhaps do just 3 days.

As far as your question regarding stamina and diabetes. I assume you are type 2 diabetes. Drinking red bulls are not really a good thing for stamina, it overdrives your system and actually takes away from stamina for a short term increase in drive. What you should do instead is to eat a balanced meal a few hours before your practice and make sure you take some some snacks to help keep your blood sugar up if it starts to lower. And what I mean by snacks would be fruit or fruit juice or something like that and not a super sweet sugary thing. Bananas are good because they help replace potassium and have a good amount of fructose, grapes are also pretty good. Get into a regimen of eating well and slowly increasing your stamina doing hayashi suburi and bike riding etc on off practice days.
            well its just the sheer number of students taking the tests - who all do it as club activities daily so basically theyve earnt it. the judges know this and get to know each student during the intense course so they can evaluate them more clearly. these 16 and 18 year olds have it so lucky. i wish i started when i was 7 or 8 as most of these have.

thank you very much for the stamina advice!!! i will try a well balanced meal and fruit juices from now on and see how that goes. i just assumed redbull = boost of energy - which it does but stamina is the problem.

as for hayashi suburi - one of my favourites to get the blood pumping. perhaps i should do a few hundred daily and im sure gradually that will bring my fitness up.

thanks again - it often takes someone removed from the situation to point out easy solutions. thank you!!!

Comment

I agree with Mike, Red Bulls are generally not a good idea where exercise is concerned. All it has is sugar, caffeine, and a dash of B vitamins. The perceived energy boost you get is from the quick burning sugars and then you crash just as quickly.

I quickly read through this article and you may want to give it a thorough read.

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org.../18/2/102.full

This article is much shorter and summarizes many of the same points as the previous one.

http://www.sportsmd.com/SportsMD_Articles/id/340.aspx

Whether or not you have diabetes, nutrition and hydration play huge roles in your stamina levels. If I eat a better balanced set of foods and stay well hydrated the same day as practice, I tend to feel better overall and can push myself harder. On days where I haven't, I get exhausted faster and I get sloppy as a result.

We could go back and forth with different training methods that may help boost your stamina but chances are they won't be nearly as effective as adjusting your eating habits. The only thing I'm willing to give as hard advice is just to echo Mike and what I said at the beginning of my post: ditch the Red Bull and grab a banana.
              Last edited by ShinKenshi; 20th April 2012, 10:59 PM.

Comment

will do - no more redbulls and a fridge full of bananas.

thanks everyone!!!

Comment

BTW, kudos to David for mentioning hydration. I forgot to mention that but dehydration will definitely sap your energy and stamina as well.

Comment

You might want to consult a nutritionist. I certainly don't feel qualified to give a diabetic nutrition advice.

As far as your stamina is concerned, if you are only training a couple days a week you would benefit from adding some cardio exercise. Run, bike, whatever.

Comment

ialso im going for my 2 dan this summer. what with the japanese humidity and the hundreds of hot sweaty people ive been put off for 4 years. but this year i feel my kendo is good enough but 5 days of full training for the 2 dan my stamina will be screwed.
                      It took me four attempts to pass shodan. During the first three, I did everything I could to attend class twice a week (the 2nd attempt was 2 months after a 2 year long absence). Prior to my 4th and successful attempt, I attended class only once a week for the exception of two non-consecutive times in a six month interval that I could attend twice a week. I think the quality of classes (what you can put into that class time, as well) is very important. A major part of my problem is that I have to travel 35 miles to the nearest dojo and the commute was a tiresome experience.

these 16 and 18 year olds have it so lucky. i wish i started when i was 7 or 8 as most of these have.
                      I think we all wish we could have started younger. Whenever I feel that way, I think about Asai Sensei who started at age 50 and was able to achieve nanadan.

Comment

Must be something about the Asai clan - we have an Asai in our dojo who got godan this year and he started in his late 40s.

Comment

i will try a well balanced meal and fruit juices from now on and see how that goes. i just assumed redbull = boost of energy - which it does but stamina is the problem.
                          For nutritional advice for a diabetic, you should definitely consult a doctor/nutritionist (preferably someone who is also an athlete) because when you eat your meals and when you take insulin shots may affect your athletic performance, depending on how hard/long you practice. Insulin is an anabolic hormone, so it affects how the body stores and breaks down glycogen, which is the body's preferred fuel for intense physical exertion in the anaerobic zone.

BTW, if you do drink fruit juice, make sure it is in fact real fruit juice. A lot of so-called fruit juice drinks actually have only a small percentage of fruit juice and are sweetened instead with sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. As a diabetic, this could be an important consideration because fructose is metabolized differently than glucose. Fructose does not enter the bloodstream like glucose does, so it doesn't spike your blood sugar. (Both sugar and high-fructose corn syrup are about 50% glucose and 50% fructose.) Read those links that David found. They've got a lot of good info.

Comment

well through sickness and health and pain and breathlessness ive put my time in twice/three times a week for years. but still feel the extra 5 days of solid practice would benefit especially before a test. it feels more earnt than bought. which i know is more the truth.
                            Keep in mind that practicing mere days before a test has little to no effect on your test-day performance. You could get all the advice in the world but it's all going to come down to many factors, like how your performance has been in the months and years preceding the test. Practicing the week before a big event just for the sake of going to practice and keeping limber is fine, but doing so for the sake of performing better on an exam is just as useful as cramming for a college exam. Also, someone who practices 5 days a week no less earns their new rank than someone who skips the final week to rest up. It might be the culture you're in, just be careful to not buy into it yourself.

Comment

thankyou every body!!!
                              the fruit juice and bananas worked.
                              although i did feel tired and took a few breaks i was much better than before.

also for the 2 dan im not that worried, whether i take it or not or get it or not. just that if i make an attempt i want my stamina to be good.
                              realistically i have to feel worthy of it myself even if my teachers say i can get it easily. i want good kendo basics without pulling out for a breather.

so i need to build up my stamina - the 2 dan is just a goal. id much prefer to stay shodan and have stamina!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X