X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kendo Forms/Techniques

Hey i have been Researching Kendo for a couple years now since i was in High School, i know Etiquette,Rules stuff like that but what i dont know (or not that much of) is Forms and Drills, like i know acouples strikes but nothing too big. i have tried looking on youtube stuff like that but i dont really know what to really do so some help from experienced people would be great thanks alot if you can help

Is it okay to Train Hiltless in Kendo?

Would it be okay to Practice with a Shinai if its Hiltless? or go to Kendo Matches with a Hiltless Shinai?

Comment

Join a dojo and they will teach you all you need to know about kendo. Unless you are attending a dojo, learning anything about any forms or drills is worse than useless. If you will let folks know your city, perhaps someone could suggest a dojo in your area.

Comment

Oh sorry should have mentioned that lol, i Live Corpus Christi, i dont think there is a Dojo here

Comment

Getting the Right Size Shinai

Does Kendo Require a Certain Size Shinai/Bokutou? or does it go by how tall you are (From what i heard). If its by How tall you are then im 5ft 9 because i have had this Shinai (40 inches) and Bokutou (39 Inches), Dont want to be training with the wrong size stuff

Comment

You are correct. As far as I know, there is no kendo closer to you than Laredo or San Antonio. Sounds like it's time to start job hunting in a new city!

Comment

Shiba, I have merged all your threads into one, no need to reel off a bunch of threads.

To answer your shinai questions, I don't know what a "hiltless shinai" is, but whatever it is would not be allowed unless it is a shinai of standard construction. Shinai sizing goes generally by age and sex, if you are still in high school then a size 38 or maybe a 39 would be fine. If your shinai is 40" long it is not any standard size - a 39 is a little over 46" long from end to end. Your 39" bokken is a standard size. Best to wait until you join a dojo until you spend any money on equipment.

I don't believe there's anything in Corpus Christi. You are unlikely to get any advice on training here, most everyone will suggest you wait until a dojo is available. If you are dead set on training by yourself, get a copy of "Kendo The Definitive Guide" by Ozawa, additionally you might try some of the videos shown here.
              Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 8th May 2012, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks alot and sorry for all th threads i thought i put them in the right spots >_> anywho thanks alot. And im in College so do i get a Size 39?

Comment

If you're in college and male you should get a 39. That's Japanese sizing, not size in inches.

Comment

oh ok i have been thinking that was inches

Comment

The size refers to the old Japanese unit of sun (寸). One sun is 30.3mm or 1.193in. So a size 39 shinai is 39 sun / ~118cm / ~46.5in.

A sun can be divided into 10 bu (分 - a unit you may come across when buying hand made bogu) and 10 sun makes 1 shaku (尺 - a unit often used for iaito blade length).

Here is a shinai size chart: http://www.kendo-guide.com/images/shinai-size-L.jpg

Comment

The size refers to the old Japanese unit of sun (寸). One sun is 30.3mm or 1.193in. So a size 39 shinai is 39 sun / ~118cm / ~46.5in.

A sun can be divided into 10 bu (分 - a unit you may come across when buying hand made bogu) and 10 sun makes 1 shaku (尺 - a unit often used for iaito blade length).

Here is a shinai size chart.

Comment

Bottle up your interest in kendo and put it in a safe place on your book shelf. When you graduate or move, check out if there is Kendo in your new location and then join a dojo. It probably won't be what you're imagining even if you've been "studying" it for years, but you may end up very happy you went back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                            To answer your shinai questions, I don't know what a "hiltless shinai" is, but whatever it is would not be allowed unless it is a shinai of standard construction.
                            I'm assuming he means a shinai without tsuba. No, I don't that would fly.

Comment

Working...
                            X