Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-substitute for bugo

hi,

I found this wrist protector here www.ninecircles.co.uk under kendo accessories and since I don't have a bogu yet and can't afford to buy one for a while, can this be used as a substitute for kote ? I don't think I hit kote right and if someone could hit kote properly on me I think I would have a better idea of how to strike .

The items you mention are for Extra protection (padding) not ment to protect on their own.

Finding cheap substitutes for very important protective armour is not a good idea. But if you must, look to other sporting protection.

Does your post mean that you will be practicing with a buddy in your back yard without formal instruction? because your club should have "lender" bogu etc and if you are real nice your Sensei may let you try it out.

Comment

I agree with Odachi padding is padding not kote. If you are training at a dojo not only wil they probably have club bogu to lend out but the sensei will know when you are ready to wear it.

The more experienced kendoka that you'll train with should help you by letting you know if you are cutting correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seta
        hi,

I found this wrist protector here www.ninecircles.co.uk under kendo accessories and since I don't have a bogu yet and can't afford to buy one for a while, can this be used as a substitute for kote ? I don't think I hit kote right and if someone could hit kote properly on me I think I would have a better idea of how to strike .
        No that is wrong. When practicing without bogu, use the shinai as the target. You probably should be doing this in the beginner's class anyway.

The other thing to do is to strap a live rabbit onto your right wrist so that is covers the top of the wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
          The other thing to do is to strap a live rabbit onto your right wrist so that is covers the top of the wrist.
          Would that also work as extra protection with kote. And is it worn under or over?

Comment

Well, i dunno about the rabbit. No animals should be harmed in the making of this movie.

However, Seta, you might want to pick up that wrist protector when you get into bogu, especially if your bogu is borrowed and the kote are rather old and soft, and you tire of constantly having a black and blue right forearm (which, of course, is what you'd get if you used that thing as a kote-substitute now.)

Try practicing kote-uchi with another kendoka. But stop just before slapping them on the wrist -- I'd be surprised if you didn't do that in your dojo anyway. You could also add a further element of danger and improve your accuracy with a bokuto, until it whistles in the air, but that's probably not a good idea at first.

Also, don't the bogu people occasionally let you guys lash out at them to practice your aim?

Oh yeah, and no rabbits!

Originally posted by Seta
            hi,

Comment

Working...
            X