Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stricking Do Practice

Hi

Any advice on practicing Do without a target.

Do is my weakest strike so I practice it a lot at home over and over again, but I am now worried that I am practicing bad habits. When I do have a target like last night at the Dojo, my strikes are terrible. They are either to high or to low and some of them are starting to drift around to sticking the front of the Do again!

Any training advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ross

I have the same problem. I keep trying to get it right, but I think I may be trying too hard which reflects in my amount of tension. Relax. that is probably the best I can suggest. Others here are probably better qualified to give advice, though

Comment

Metsuke. Look at the opponents eyes (or in that direction) and dont stare at the target.
      Your cut will become far more fluid that way.

Jakob (Who had same problem with do)

Comment

I know when I bend my body to go through during do, i usually end up hitting to low, maybe you should check out your posture.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
          Hi

Do is my weakest strike so I practice it a lot at home over and over again, but I am now worried that I am practicing bad habits. When I do have a target like last night at the Dojo, my strikes are terrible. They are either to high or to low and some of them are starting to drift around to sticking the front of the Do again!

Ross
          Maybe if you stopped trying to be a big show-off in front of the sensei and concentrated on your actual kendo, you would improve... maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
            Hi

Ross
            When I hit Migi do, I think of as if I am hitting kote with both arms fully extended. Left-hand stay center while only allows my right hand guide me to the target, eyes to the opponent always.
            Last edited by kawa; 11th March 2004, 12:14 AM.

Comment

someone told me to watch the target when hiting do

Comment

Let a sibling/friend/parental unit/significant other wear your do, practice on them.

Comment

heres what i do

When i am at home we have this old beaten up chair and i sit down next to it like i was standing infront of my opponent. You see the old chair has arms on it as well and I imagine that if i hit under the arms i am hitting a do strike. But just remember that when you do, "do" strike make sure to have your left hand in the center of your body when you practice. And just relax when you do it. I know sometimes i used to get really tensed up and worry about doing "do" wronge. But now, i see after my practice at home on that old chair, i just needed to relax and not worry about what i was doing.

You see you can not expect to be the best at anything your first time. Infact i think its safe to say, many people do any thing poorly their first time around. So i suggest you just relax, practice your do stirke, and stick with it. You will suceed.

Comment

Working...
                  X