X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddings and other gear

What's the scoop on wearing men, kote, tsuki, etc. padding, tabi, or any other accessories allowable for tournaments or only during practice? I've heard conflicting things. Also, are the carbon shinais good for tournies or used only for practice? I've heard both......

My Sensei said that the Carbon Shinai are not allowed in tourneys because when the break the shatter and thats quite dangerous to the guy you just hit with it. The other stuff like pads I dont know anything about, id think youd be allowed. But I dont know.
    Jordan

Comment

"My Sensei said that the Carbon Shinai are not allowed in tourneys because when the break the shatter and thats quite dangerous to the guy you just hit with it"

So its ok when its just regular practice ? , coz you know I would get pissed if it shatterd and I got stuff in my eyes in a tourney , but Id be fine to get my eyes ruind at regular practice

Comment

carbon shinai's ARE legal for tournaments our dojo's kendo team all have carbon graphite shinai's just for that purpose. They also aren't as dangerous as bamboo when they shatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleda
          carbon shinai's ARE legal for tournaments our dojo's kendo team all have carbon graphite shinai's just for that purpose. They also aren't as dangerous as bamboo when they shatter.
          Carbon shinais (which I'm not sure whether or not they are allowed in tournaments, I would think that they are) can be more dangerous than bamboo since they are not prone to breaking and the shinai leather may wear out before the carbon shinai's useful life. That's why a specific rubber reinforced sakigomu tip is used with carbon shinai (which only started being used a few years ago by Hasegawa). Otherwise, carbon shinai is considered very dangerous.

Comment

What about the paddings then? I've heard that for the most part, people use them during practice, but when it's time for the tourney, they're not allowed.

Comment

Paddings have to be approved on the day, but often this is not enforced.
              You definitly dont want to wear a tabi anyway, as you'll need every ounce of speed and grip you can find.

Jakob

Comment

I only just tried the tabi that i bought a few weeks ago. I find the problem mainly is that even though I drench it, it'll still dry up fairly quickly. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is other than to keep from blisters.

Comment

Originally posted by twotoedgiraffe
                  I'm not sure what the purpose of it is other than to keep from blisters.
                  Uhmm, that is usually why people wear them. There's no advantage gained from wearing them, in fact, they'll often provide less grip than your foot.

Jakob

Comment

I don't do much regarding padding besides for my kote, which i have a pad. On kendoshop, they have arm and head pads.....i wonder if those can be used in tourneys @_@. Regarding bamboo and carbon shinais.....if i remember correctly, bamboo is more dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                    X