X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing Swords in Niten Ichi Ryu

There are no schools in my area, and I'm having trouble finding books on the art. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you're supposed to draw your swords in Niten Ichi Ryu. Thanks,

Joel

A Reference

Originally posted by SamuraiKensai
    There are no schools in my area, and I'm having trouble finding books on the art. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you're supposed to draw your swords in Niten Ichi Ryu. Thanks,

Joel
    I am not going to write the section out for you but you might just try NITEN ICHI RYU: THE SWORD OF MUSASHI MIYAMOTO available from Seidokai Training Manuals.

Comment

Here are some nito movie clips, drawing swords among others:
      http://www.kenshinkai.com.au/nito/nito.htm

Comment

Kenjutsu or Kendo?

Originally posted by ralphy
        Here are some nito movie clips, drawing swords among others:
        http://www.kenshinkai.com.au/nito/nito.htm
        Well, I think that we need to know if the original question was about Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu or Nito Kendo. They are two entirely different practices. I assumed the former, and ralphy assumed the latter.

If SamuraiKensai (aka Joel) could clarify this issue, then we can keep this thread on track, and help to answer the question that he really wants answered.

Comment

In Nito Kendo you usualy

1) Hold the Shoto bottom, daito top with tsuba overlapping the shoto.
          2) Go in to Taito as if the two shinai were one and as if it was normal kendo
          3) If it is Shou nito and you want to use the daito in your right and shoto left first draw the with your right hand across your body to the right.
          4)Point the Shoto towards your opponent and bring it across your body and swap with the daito.
          5) Then bring the daito under your shoto across your body to the right while going into Sonkyo.
          6) You should end up with daito on shoto making a point with both shinai at your opponent as in normal kendo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not sure about Niten ichi ryu but for Nito based 'Bokuto' practice.

1) Hold Shoto and daito in right hand like in Kendo kata
          2) Pass them both to your left hand and do taito
          3) With both hands at the same time draw both daito and shoto as in Kendo kata.
          4) Sonkyo and point the tips of both swords at your partners throght
          5) Put both bokuto on the floor crossed shoto on daito making a triangle with your nees as the bottom corners and kensen as the tip.

But Hyaku knows more than me. He is the leader of Niten ichi ryu you know,,, Joking .

Comment

Hmm I always wondered something about nito (might as well ask it here)

i've only seen one guy practice it in person, and even then only for a few occasions, and after seeing that clip I wondered. When you practice kirikaeshi, you hit with both shinai right? (the large and small) but I was under the impression that you couldnt score with the small one? or that it was only for the kote and do if anything (not men)

Comment

A copple of Nito Kendo references ...

Originally posted by Twobitmage
              Hmm I always wondered something about nito (might as well ask it here)

i've only seen one guy practice it in person, and even then only for a few occasions, and after seeing that clip I wondered. When you practice kirikaeshi, you hit with both shinai right? (the large and small) but I was under the impression that you couldnt score with the small one? or that it was only for the kote and do if anything (not men)
              Search for "nito-ryu" at e-bogu.com:
              • "Nito-Ryu no Waza to Riron" - Nito-Ryu Instructional Book in Japanese
              • KENDO PRINCIPLES IV - NITO-RYU [Two Swords] (English) Video; KENDO INSTRUCTION BY MATTHEW RAYMOND and VOICE BY MATTHEW RAYMOND

Enjoy.

Comment

I'm not sure what the difference is between Niten Ichi Ryu Kendo and Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu, but I'm going to guess the kendo is with a bokken and the kenjutsu is with the real sword. If that's the case, then I mean kenjutsu.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiKensai
                  I'm not sure what the difference is between Niten Ichi Ryu Kendo and Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu, but I'm going to guess the kendo is with a bokken and the kenjutsu is with the real sword. If that's the case, then I mean kenjutsu.
                  There is no Niten Ichi Ryu Kendo; it is Nito Kendo or Nito-ryu Kendo. It uses bokuto for 13 daito vs. nito Kata; in bogu practice there is a daito-size (37) shinai and a shoto-size shinai.

In Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu, there are just bokuto used for kata:
                  • 12 daito vs daito kata
                  • 7 daito vs. shoto kata
                  • 5 daito vs nito (or daisho) kata

There is another two sets of five daito vs. nito "kata" that represent oyo waza (applied techniques) added by later headmasters.

Comment

Since I'm interested in Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu as well, my question goes to Raymond.

Does the book you mentioned, "NITEN ICHI RYU: THE SWORD OF MUSASHI MIYAMOTO", contain decent descriptions of the 24 kata (waza?) you listed, or is there another source for that you can suggest? Since there are no dojos near me that teach HNIR I'm trying to obtain as much reading material on it as possible. I made a promise to myself that when I reach shodan in MJER only then will I start practicing HNIR.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Slade
                      Since I'm interested in Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu as well, my question goes to Raymond.

Does the book you mentioned, "NITEN ICHI RYU: THE SWORD OF MUSASHI MIYAMOTO", contain decent descriptions of the 24 kata (waza?) you listed, or is there another source for that you can suggest? Since there are no dojos near me that teach HNIR I'm trying to obtain as much reading material on it as possible. I made a promise to myself that when I reach shodan in MJER only then will I start practicing HNIR.

Thanks!
                      Slade-san,

No. There IS no book with the HNIR kata in it. Ask Hyaku-sensei. Though I suspect he is tired of people claiming to have knowledge of the waza when they do not. This book is not the real HNIR deal. He said nobody from the HNIR has produced any book with kata in it. They don't put out books and videos.

Please go here for an explanation:

http://www.hyoho.com/hyohoshi.html

And, here is the main HNIR official website:

http://www.hyoho.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

To study it, you're gonna have to go to Canada or Japan or the other places mentioned on Hyaku-sensei's website. There is an HNIR seminar held in Canada each year. And, don't even think of taking the information from there or a dojo and writing a book on HNIR without the Soke's permission...(Remembering your other post.)

Kaoru
                      Last edited by Kaoru; 9th December 2004, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Darn edit limit...

Oh and so you know...

There are NO legit HNIR dojos in the US. Hyaku-sensei will confirm this fact. So, you will not be able to study HNIR unless you go to Canada or elsewhere, as listed on Hyaku-sensei's website. Sorry...

Kaoru

Comment

Sorry.

Originally posted by Slade

Thanks!
                          You cannot learn this art from a book. This text is for reference only.

Comment

Two "instructors" in N.A.

Originally posted by Kaoru
                            Oh and so you know...

There are NO legit HNIR dojos in the US. Hyaku-sensei will confirm this fact. So, you will not be able to study HNIR unless you go to Canada or elsewhere, as listed on Hyaku-sensei's website. Sorry...

Kaoru
                            To my knowledge, there are only two people who give regular instruction in HNIR in North America, Kim Taylor and myself. Neither of us claim to "teach" HNIR. We encourage people who study with us to attend the HNIR seminars that Kim sponsors in Guelph, Ontario. Unless you have a personal relationship with the Soke, you have nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
                              You cannot learn this art from a book. This text is for reference only.
                              Reference. Precisely what I'm looking for. Since travelling is out of the question at this time, I'm looking for any accurate reference material that I can get my hands on. Is the book worth getting or in your opinion is it a just another book on the life of Musashi and doesn't really touch on HNIR?

Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
                              To my knowledge, there are only two people who give regular instruction in HNIR in North America, Kim Taylor and myself.
                              I see you're relatively close to me, but who and where is this Kim Taylor you speak of?

Comment

Working...
                              X