Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout question

Hey everyone,

brand new to Kendo (on my third week), anyone have any workout regimes that incorporate kendo. Or is it just build through repitition.

i would refrain from training on your own ,because your technique (like mine) still blows chunks (probably),so you WILL pick up some nasty habits.However you could do some crosstraining to get into shape or something,or hit yourself on the head with a shinai to get used to that, just kiddin'

--Niels

Comment

Originally posted by Niels
      ...hit yourself on the head with a shinai to get used to that, just kiddin'

--Niels
      I've had to do this before in class lol, we hit shoulder, head,shoulder and then move back the otherway hitting both shoulders and the head with the shinai. I know it sounds stupid but it really does get you used to getting smacked in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleda
        I've had to do this before in class lol, we hit shoulder, head,shoulder ......... I know it sounds stupid but it really does get you used to getting smacked in the head.
        Well no it doesn't really sound stupid......in fact it sounds really good!
        If you get used to the shinai hitting your head you will not be scared so much in a fight.
        In kendo you have to be relaxed all the time so if someone hits you and you get this ' I don't want to be hit......duck and head down.....OHHH MY GOD ' feeling it's not the best thing!
        I think that is really an excelent thing to train!

OHH...and try to handel things with just the left arm(only if you are right-handed)......you need the left hand more than the right one in kendo!

Comment

Forearms. Forget about any special routines. Just work your forearms. Biceps, chest, anything that gives your forearms some burn. Wrist movement is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun97
            Well no it doesn't really sound stupid......in fact it sounds really good!
            If you get used to the shinai hitting your head you will not be scared so much in a fight.
            In kendo you have to be relaxed all the time so if someone hits you and you get this ' I don't want to be hit......duck and head down.....OHHH MY GOD ' feeling it's not the best thing!
            I think that is really an excelent thing to train!

OHH...and try to handel things with just the left arm(only if you are right-handed)......you need the left hand more than the right one in kendo!
            Did you have to tsuki? Not the full thing (no bogu), just the jab into the throat "so you know what it feels like" sort of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bleda
              I've had to do this before in class lol, we hit shoulder, head,shoulder and then move back the otherway hitting both shoulders and the head with the shinai. I know it sounds stupid but it really does get you used to getting smacked in the head.
              Actually i ment without bogu
              But WITH bogu is actually a pretty good idea, cause after a while you dont flinch(?) when you see a lightning fast shinai of doom closing in on your forehead

--Niels

Comment

I am also talking about with out bogu lol. And no we didn't have to do tsuki =P

Comment

Just practice basic Suburi and swings...one day before official practice, all your practice will pay off, and if you pick up bad habits, the next day the sensei will correct you. a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatamen
                    Did you have to tsuki? Not the full thing (no bogu), just the jab into the throat "so you know what it feels like" sort of thing?
                    Yes, we had to!
                    Getting used to it, staying relxed even if someone is wanting to hit us.
                    Last edited by Shogun97; 29th March 2004, 03:00 AM.

Comment

That's insane. Even with bogu, tsuki is scary.

Comment

Does anyone here know what Para Para Dancing is? LOL. I would recomend some Japanese Para Para dancing with weights on your hands. I never knew a more tiring style of dancing! Its one of the hardest dances in terms of arm,hand, leg and beat cordnation. It looks easy but i garentee you it will tire you out fast.

Comment

If you are playing chudan and you are right handed, try to do things on your left hand. For example, using mouse by your left hand, open door with left hand etc. I don't think weight training is necessary since kendo dose not use strength from the hands.
                          One of my sempai told me to do suburis with left hand and let go thumb and index finger. That is basically what I am doing everyday.

Comment

Working...
                          X