X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you trying to achieve ?

I am still a beginner, only 5 months. I am trying to set my clear goal as Kendoka. Chances of me getting into any sword fight is near to 0%. Kendo is not the best money making business either. I initially joined Kendo because of it is cool, swing sword and wearing cool armour like Samurai warrior.... But I am sure there are more than this.

What is your goal as Kendoka ? Why are you practice Kendo ? What are you trying to get out of Kendo ? Has Kendo changed your life, personality ? Is it more confidence ? Focus on life ? Another sports ? Can you please share your wisdom ? Need to learn from Sampai and also hear others experience. Any story is fine. I am here to listen.

I joined the Kendo club basically out of interest. For the past 4 or so years, I started learning the Japanese language on my own (I hope I can fit a class into my busy college schedule). Through my search of resources online and the influence of anime, kendo is one of those things that pop up. With my new interest, I searched more and more and I felt that it is something that I might enjoy taking up when I go to college.

Now I am in college and I have been with the Kendo club since September. Although I have left the class with calluses on my hands and feet and sore limbs, I have never regretted a day in which I went.

My goal in Kendo is to essentially do the best that I can and take it as far as I feel I can go. Right now, it is something that I enjoy and I don't see my interest abaiting anytime soon.

Comment

Nothing...
      I just walk the way

Comment

essence of "kendo"

Dear rainmaker,

I would first like to assert here that I think it is very admirable of you to ask out of such humbleness. You are a better man than I. For I have never had the modesty to ask anyone a questions like this. (not even my sensei) For I hold too much pride. And it is a shame as I will say "pride" is a double edged sword! hahaha. I don't know you, but I am certain if you continue to walk this path of the sword, you will go far. I will also tell you, what you seek can not be taught. It is something that you must find in yourself. Just as you can't learn what love is, but no one will ever be able to teach you love. kendo is very much the same way, to learn the wisdom of others and to immitate will only shorten your ability to grow. I leave you with the following :

Ken to wa kokoro nari,
        (the sword and the mind/heart is the that of the same,)

kokoro tadashikerebasono ken tadashi.
        (when the mind/heart is right, then your sword will be right.)

kokoro tadashikarazareba sonao ken mata tadashikarazu.
        (when the mind/heart is not right, the sword will not be right)

ken o manaban to suru mono wa subekaraku sono kokoro o manabe.
        (he who wishes to study kendo, must first study his mind.)

Comment

It is very embarrassing how I started. I always wanted to learn Kendo but I just didn't know how. I watched Last Samura and believe it or not it inspired me. I searched website and found a club near our house. I went there with my 5 year old son and started learning. I am amatuer photographer which help me to see that world is such s beautiful place. I am also a Christian whom try to have a faith to God, of course most of time I am failing... I am trying to find a goal of Kendo. I want to set MY OWN reason and goal to learn Kendo. So I can share my inspiration with my son....

I read a article from this guy who practiced Kendo for 46 years and also a professor. He said "Kendo is about moving forward, no turning back. Wheather you attack, defense, draw sword, you always step forward. Even though you got hit your Do while attacking your opponent, you still have to move forward. Same as life. Life is about moving forward. You cannot bring back the lost time. Even though when you faced your toughest time, you have to move forward. Kendo is like life. I want to lead a life that I do not step back. I want to Move forward...

This inpired me... I want to hear more story about you and thank you... Sorry if my English is not perfect. As you can see I am not a native speaker..

Comment

Hi,

I started kendo coz it looks cool nay, it IS cool .. and i like the idea, the concept of what kendo represents.. two opponents facing off, trying to find that moment to make that crucial cut.. definately a suspenseful and thrilling idea.
            Alot of people seem to dislike others who start coz kendo to engage in sword fights and it looks 'cool'.. but i don't think enough people admit that is why they started. Unless u live in japan/korea where kendo is everywhere.. of course not everyone starts for these sorts of reasons.
            I just want to get better and hopefully the discipline required to achieve this can carry over in other parts of my life.

Comment

Where your initial interest comes from really doesn't matter, the spark has to come from somewhere even a movie like the last Samurai, everybody's motivation is different.

I like the way it causes me to push my self, my sensei is a hard ass, but that's cool because I am a masochist in that aspect. Also I work in the customer support field and it's a good outlet when people piss me off.

Comment

'costumer support field', hey. Wow ppl should really be affraid of you then.

If you would be in the costumer support field of IT buissiness, I'm surprised they let you in a kendo club .

Just imagine kiai like 'and this one's for all the times they forgot to put in the plug'

On topic now: well my goal is to make my kendo look less like it looks now and more like my sempais'. (lucky for me it's quite similar, but his is notably better)

Comment

I started kendo when i went on my student exchange to Japan. I was already big into martial arts, and the high school that I exchanged to offered kyudo, kendo, and judo. I chose kendo because through my research I found it to be the most "japanese" of the three, and because it was reputed to be the most demanding.

Comment

the one who reckons,

I would be very interested to hear what Hai Hai's response would be. Please, Hai Hai. .. ...why not elaborate on this topic?

Comment

Originally posted by Masahiro
                      Ken to wa kokoro nari,
                      (the sword and the mind/heart is the that of the same,)

kokoro tadashikerebasono ken tadashi.
                      (when the mind/heart is right, then your sword will be right.)

kokoro tadashikarazareba sonao ken mata tadashikarazu.
                      (when the mind/heart is not right, the sword will not be right)

ken o manaban to suru mono wa subekaraku sono kokoro o manabe.
                      (he who wishes to study kendo, must first study his mind.)
                      May i ask from whom or whence these wise words stem?

Comment

unknown origin,

Dear Not-I,

I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact origin of where these words of wisdom came from. I received them along with the a tournament schedule in a nascent tournament I attended. To tell you the truth, I think I read it somewhere before but I couldn't remember where and who wrote it. If someone can actually tell me who wrote it, I would be very thankful. I am glad you fency the poem. It serves as a reminder of why I started studying kendo.

Comment

enlightenment. *drinks a shot of tequila* woops there goes that goal!

Comment

Kenichi Ishida, all Japan Championship (about 15 years ago). He is now a hachi dan kendoka.

He said,
                            "The purpose of practicing kendo is to make our mind hamble enough to realize its own weekness and overcome it through practice."
                            (I don't remeber the exact words, but the meaning should be the same)
                            (From a National Geography documentary abotu hachi dan test)

I could not agree more.

Comment

Achieve? I'm just enjoying the journey.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
                              X