Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with slippery tabi?

Hi everybody,
    I found that it is very slippery with tabi when I do suri-ashi. Could any one suggest me how to deal with this problem? (Last time I almost kiss the dojo floor, such an embarrassing moment!!)

here's an idea, don't wear tabi.

Comment

Yeah, why are you wearing tabi?

Hamish

Comment

Wearing of a kendo tabi should be avoided except as needed to help you continue training through blisters and such. If you are using a tabi with the leather sole you can use a damp towel to step on and moisten the sole of the tabi periodically during practice. If it is too damp you will slip just as much as none at all.

Comment

In general, everybody I know who use tabi have problems slipping. Sorta makes sense since you are pushing off your left foot and the thing making contact with the floor isn't skin, but leather (or something like that). Try tape. I use coaches tape bought at any local drug store. Nice and sticky. I use one patch of the stuff, melt the glue with a lighter and stick it on to my foot. It works well for me. Some people stick it on to their foot, then heat the glue up with a lighter. You skin is pretty thick (or it should be) due to caluses there so you won't feel anything.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
            Yeah, why are you wearing tabi?

Hamish
            I wear it because I have spur problem. Anyway, my tabi's sole is made of some kind of thick fabric.( i donno what word should i named it) I'll try the towel method and see if it's working.

Thank you you guys for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
              Hamish
              Hamish:I shoulda remembered the rocks

Willy:aye, ye should have

(did I get the reference right?)

Comment

Working...
              X