X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow pains

hey guys, anyone here had elbow pains in kendo ? it's on my right arm, underneath on the left side. it's not a sharp pain, but pain that tells me if i keep using it, it will get worse. planning to go to physio sometime soon and get some advise. But after some reading on the net, it says a way to cure it is to rest it and that's what Im doing. If anyone out there has an experience with elbow pain, please let me know what's happening to me, thanks in advance

i think you have a tennis elbow, or something similar to that. i think you're using too much right arm, but i could be wrong.

i had a similar pain when i started taking iaido. since i'm left handed, my right arm is weaker and less coordinated than my left. after couple classes, my right elbow started to ache.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokie
      hey guys, anyone here had elbow pains in kendo ? it's on my right arm, underneath on the left side. it's not a sharp pain, but pain that tells me if i keep using it, it will get worse. planning to go to physio sometime soon and get some advise. But after some reading on the net, it says a way to cure it is to rest it and that's what Im doing. If anyone out there has an experience with elbow pain, please let me know what's happening to me, thanks in advance
      Right arm, okay.

Underneath on the left side? This is not descriptive enough. What is the left side?
      If you put your arm forward and palm up, thumb pointing to the right, your elbow will be facing the ground. Is the pain on the left of the elbow, right of the elbow, underneath on the elbow closer to your hand, underneath on the elbow closer to your shoulder.

Just a test, do a couple of push ups or bench presses. Do you feel like your elbow wants to pop-out at the bottom of the push-up?

Comment

Yep, I had a similar problem a little while back. I seem to have slightly damaged my ligaments, and cartilage by over extending the elbow doing suburi with a weighted shinai. With every hit I would put pressure on my elbow which was locked facing down. Basically, I was shoving my elbow into a armbar submission hold. The swelling went down with RICE (Rest, ICe, and hEat).
        Several senseis helped me understand that I could avoid the damage by rotating my shoulder joint while fully extending my arm. They explained that at the point of impact, both of my elbows should be fully extended facing the side instead of facing down. I am still working on it
        Perhaps you should ask your sensei if you have a similar problem to solve.
        Have fun,
        mark

Comment

thanks

okay, with palms up, thumbs to the right..its the left, under the elbow closest to the shoulder,if you straight out your arm, there should be a bone sticking out on the left , go underneath it and that's it. It doesn't hurt as much, but prolonged use it starts to creep in, which is scarey..

Comment

Originally posted by Pokie
            okay, with palms up, thumbs to the right..its the left, under the elbow closest to the shoulder,if you straight out your arm, there should be a bone sticking out on the left , go underneath it and that's it. It doesn't hurt as much, but prolonged use it starts to creep in, which is scarey..
            OK. I got the same problem. It didn't bother me unless I was bench pressing with a lot of weight. I believe it is a result of overextending, see above.

If the problem was on the right side underneath, it would be tennis elbow. You can try a tennis elbow strap. If that improves things, then you tore your forearm ligaments.

RICE is Rest Ice Compression Elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
              OK. I got the same problem. It didn't bother me unless I was bench pressing with a lot of weight. I believe it is a result of overextending, see above.

If the problem was on the right side underneath, it would be tennis elbow. You can try a tennis elbow strap. If that improves things, then you tore your forearm ligaments.

RICE is Rest Ice Compression Elevation.
              I have the same problem also. So it's not tennis elbow? Did yours go away or is it still there and you just deal with it?

Comment

Originally posted by taiwnezboi
                I have the same problem also. So it's not tennis elbow? Did yours go away or is it still there and you just deal with it?
                I had to stop break dancing because of all the poppin' and lockin'.

Comment

Working...
                X