Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good kendo websites?

Hi

I have been very amused by the absolutely dire web sites you have recommended in previous posts.

However, I am really looking to improve my kendo technique and understand more about the philosophy and history of kendo.

Could someone recommend a really good site where I can find all this - I am not looking simply for a dojo site with a one page introduction to kendo.

Thanks in advance

Lucien

Originally posted by Lucien
    Hi

I have been very amused by the absolutely dire web sites you have recommended in previous posts.

However, I am really looking to improve my kendo technique and understand more about the philosophy and history of kendo.

Could someone recommend a really good site where I can find all this - I am not looking simply for a dojo site with a one page introduction to kendo.

Thanks in advance

Lucien
    Try following sites. I found they are very helpful.

http://www.wfkendo.com/modules.php?n...howpage&pid=49
    http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~shimano/doujo/eng/hiden_e.html
    http://translate.google.com/translat...e%3DISO-8859-1

Cheers

Taek

Comment

recommended...

You could try:

http://www.geocities.com/kendosuburi

It's a kendoka's journal with techniques and some philosophy.

Comment

Gee,

it sounds like your best bet would be to subscribe to Kendo World Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
          Gee,

it sounds like your best bet would be to subscribe to Kendo World Magazine
          Wow, talk about self promotion

why don't you start of from www.kendo.or.jp ? don't worry the english site looks better now

Comment

Originally posted by aru-ma
            Wow, talk about self promotion

why don't you start of from www.kendo.or.jp ? don't worry the english site looks better now
            Thanks, aru-ma, but I did try kendo.or.jp and didn't find it very good, which lead me to ask my question.

It is very difficult to find a site which hasn't just regurgitated another site's content.

Having said that, the site's offered so far have been very interesting.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

L

Comment

JSA FAQ
              A ton of links

Comment

...I have been very amused by the absolutely dire web sites you have recommended in previous posts.
                Really?

...Could someone recommend a really good site where I can find all this - I am not looking simply for a dojo site with a one page introduction to kendo...
                Here's a site that should meet your needs.
                http://www.google.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                  Really?

Here's a site that should meet your needs.
                  http://www.google.com
                  I did try that already, Hai Hai. I didn't find it very useful for finding what I was looking for.

Disappointed that my simple request elicited a sarcastic answer - just looking for help.

Comment

I did try that already, Hai Hai. I didn't find it very useful for finding what I was looking for.

Disappointed that my simple request elicited a sarcastic answer - just looking for help.
                    The information you are looking for is not on the web. They make these things called books. There are books on kendo. You pay for them. The author's charge you because they make money. When it goes on the web, they don't get money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                      The information you are looking for is not on the web. They make these things called books. There are books on kendo. You pay for them. The author's charge you because they make money. When it goes on the web, they don't get money.
                      Then maybe you could suggest some books (and save me the sarcasm).

Thanks

L

Comment

There isn't that much in English. Here are the three most commonly recommended books:

Kendo: the Definitive Guide
                        This Is Kendo
                        Looking At a Far Mountain

Comment

I have "Kendo: The Definitive Guide" by Ozawa. There is no website with even close to the same amount of information.
                          I perused through "Kendo: Elements, Rules and Philosophy" by Tokeshi. I thought this book also had a lot of useful information.
                          "This is Kendo" by Sasamori is okay.
                          "Shambhala Guide To Kendo: Its Philosophy, History, and Spiritual Dimensions" by Kiyota is less practical.
                          "Kendo Jidai" and "Kendo Nippon" are kendo magazines written in Japanese. Practical information if you can read Japanese. It's all higher-level Japanese so I can't even get the jist of an article.
                          Kendo World publishes English kendo magazines.
                          "Urecco", "Bejean" and "Sabra" are Japanese idol magazines. No useful information about kendo but I can practice some of my Japanese reading skills.

Comment

You could also buy

Kendo kata: by Inoue Yoshihiko and Fighting men of Japan: by F J Norman

There are tones more available in Japanese

You will not find all of what you are looking for in one place; you might want to expand in to koryu history and Japanese history to find an answer that suits you

You will not find much in-depth information in English

But apart from that spend more time in the dojo is the best way to improve your technique

Alex is there any chance I could buy Kendo kata & Fighting men of Japan in hardback?

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all their help. Yes, time in the dojo is seldom wasted!

Lots to read now

Thanks again

L

Comment

Working...
                              X