X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenjutsu

what exactly is kenjutsu? whats training consist of, techniques of various schools; any information given would be much appreciated. also, i seem to not be able to find any kenjutsu dojos in the U.S. all ive foud are iaido and kendo.

Originally posted by xifoarhos
    what exactly is kenjutsu? whats training consist of, techniques of various schools; any information given would be much appreciated. also, i seem to not be able to find any kenjutsu dojos in the U.S. all ive foud are iaido and kendo.
    From a previous thread:

Originally posted by Zaphiel
    bit embarressing this question but. iaido and kenjutsu are the same, aren't they?
    Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
    Not really.

Generically, Iaido consists primarily of solo Kata where the blade is drawn from and returned to the Saya at the beginning and end of the Kata. Kenjutsu consists of paired Kata with the blades (in many cases, Bokuto) already drawn. Kendo no Kata is a "Seitei series" of Kenjutsu Kata.

That being said, Iaido starts and ends with the blade in the Saya whereas Kenjutsu is only concerned about the use of the exposed blade. Given this, elements of Iaido Kata not concerned with drawing or resheathing can be considered to be "Kenjutsu."
    They are out there, "Kenjutsu" is a generic term - individual Ryu-ha have their own style of Kenjutsu. It may be just Kenjutsu or it may be part of a larger curriculum.

Most Kenjutsu training would primarily be Kata. A few of the various branches of Itto Ryu, still train in a older from of Kendo.

One place to start looking is here: Kenjutsu - A Koryu.com Guide

Without a more definitive location in your profile, there is nothing more I can do to point you in any direction.
    Last edited by R A Sosnowski; 14th May 2004, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I surfed the website about Kenjitsu and there is nothing dojo in U.S or elsewhere in Japan. Moreover I even read that Kendo is not even considered part of the Japan sword art fighting because they don't mention Kendo only they mention Kenjitsu, iado [sumethin like kidao well i don't know] . Well I als o read Kenjtsu is better than Kendo when it comes training of sword fighting.

Comment

Kenjutsu is just meaning 'japanese sword martial arts'.

I don't think you can just say that Kenjutsu is better then kendo because Kendo, Iaido and Ryu's are like different counterparts of Kenjutsu. same thing different aspects

its like saying I like motorsports and that can either be rally sports, street racing or grand prix etc you know what I mean?

unless your trying to ask what is the best type kenjutsu.... but then there will be arguments on that lol

as far as I know in Japanese martials arts schools such as Kendo, Iaido, aikido, karate and many other unknown ones will have their own style of kenjutsu so I would advise you have to ask the sensei's what they will teach in that particular school because its upto them.
        Last edited by Mokuso; 10th August 2005, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasrullah
          I surfed the website about Kenjitsu and there is nothing dojo in U.S or elsewhere in Japan. Moreover I even read that Kendo is not even considered part of the Japan sword art fighting because they don't mention Kendo only they mention Kenjitsu, iado [sumethin like kidao well i don't know] . Well I als o read Kenjtsu is better than Kendo when it comes training of sword fighting.
          That's because you don't know what you are talking about. There are Kenjutsu dojos here and many in Japan. Kenjutsu originated in and still exists in Japan and so did Kendo. It is not spelled "Kenjitsu." It is spelled Kenjutsu."

Kendo IS a Japanese sword art. Kendo was born from Kenjutsu, therefore, it is considered a swordart. Don't forget that please. Kendo is about 150(Maybe a little less.) years old at least.

I think, if you have not learned any of these arts yet, that you should listen more, and ask questions instead of stating things that are completely wrong. And, all that you have said is completely wrong.

What are your sources? Where did you read this? None of it is correct.

Kaoru

Comment

Clarification is in order here I think

Kendo / Kenjutsu / Iai / Iaido

do = the art of
            jutsu = the way of

before WW2 it really was not called Kendo. It was all Kenjutsu. In accordance with the terms of Japan's Surrender to the Allies at the end of WW2 The Japanese were prohibited from practicing all forms of warfare. The sword art was bundled into this. Kenjutsu was renamed for the most part to Kendo and the practice altered into a sport so that the people of Japan could retain their rich tradition. The same can be applied to Iai and Iaido. There are many other examples of this kind of thing the world over where cultures have altered their traditional martial arts into a sport or a dance form to appease their rulers/conquerers.

In modern times the tearms are most commonly applied to diferentiate from the sport and combat styles.

Kendo = the sport style of sword fighting, Practiced by enthusiests worldwide and very set in spacific tradition and form.

Kenjutsu = the combat styles, basicly learning how to kill with a sword. Usually involves training in Dualing as well as multi-opponent combat situations. There exist many many styles wethin handed down from over the ages. The most effective of which is most likly the 2 sword fighting style (katana and wakazashi) brought forth by Miyamoto Musashi.

Iaido = A kata art involving cuts made from the draw and the art of returning the sword. Most Iaido students practice with Un-sharpened blades

Iai = Same as above except more practical for combat application. Iai students will often practice with Cutting mats or Bamboo targets. Basicly the art of the quick kill starting with the sword in the saya. This style allmost always has the students practice with Live sharp blades

Finding schools:

Kendo= Not too hard to find these days. Kendo schools are popping up everywhere. Most are lagit and a small minority ( the ones that never let the students hit eachother) are truely pathetic. Choose wisely.

Kenjutsu= Easier to find in Japan, Very very hard to find in the USA. Most do not advertise at all but keep to a tight group and are available usualy by invite only. Be very very carefull when going into Kenjutsu if you can find it. There are allot of fakes out there.

Iaido = Hard to find but not impossible, an increcing number of kendo schools are including Iaido as part of their class.

Iai = As with Iaido and Kendo, Iai and Kenjutsu tend to travel as a pair. Most good Kenjutsu schoold will incorporate a great deal of Iai training as part of the combat teachings.

Hope this clears a few things up,

Please post questions/comments/contradictions. I love a good Debate :P

Comment

Originally posted by 2SwordStyle
              do = the art of
              jutsu = the way of
              Erm...shouldn't "Do" be "the way of"?

Comment

Originally posted by nasrullah
                I surfed the website about Kenjitsu and there is nothing dojo in U.S or elsewhere in Japan. Moreover I even read...
                Don't believe everything you read, dear, especially on the internet.

Example:
                http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Comment

ya, my bad, typo :P

Comment

Kenjutsu = the combat styles, basicly learning how to kill with a sword. Usually involves training in Dualing as well as multi-opponent combat situations. There exist many many styles wethin handed down from over the ages. The most effective of which is most likly the 2 sword fighting style (katana and wakazashi) brought forth by Miyamoto Musashi.
                    I'm not really sure the 2-sword style IS the most effective. Miyamoto Musashi fought all this 60 duels with only 1 sword. The 2-sword style was developed during his retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan
                      Don't believe everything you read, dear, especially on the internet.

Example:
                      http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
                      I'm always erm...kinda amused by statements like this.

Isn't this forum THE Internet as well?

Comment

It's a triangle combination

As with Iaido and Kendo, Iai and Kenjutsu tend to travel as a pair. Most good Kenjutsu schoold will incorporate a great deal of Iai training as part of the combat teachings.

Please post questions/comments/contradictions. I love a good Debate :P
                        Not only Kendo-Iai and Iai-Kenjutsu, but also Kenjutsu-Kendo also can travel in pair. It's not so common, but I many people do it.
                        Further, Kenjutsu-Iai-Kendo will make an excellent combination.

Comment

2 swords

Originally posted by jackchen
                          I'm not really sure the 2-sword style IS the most effective. Miyamoto Musashi fought all this 60 duels with only 1 sword. The 2-sword style was developed during his retirement.
                          The duel against almost 60 opponents is a good example of why 2 swords were useful. And in his most famous battle a sword wasn't used, it was an oar.

By the way, 2 styles techniques were used in other schools too, but not in the extension used in his school.

Comment

I've heard it started that he "perfected" the niten'ichi (2 sword style, two heavans) In his later years. One of the things he's most famous for (aside from the famous duel with Sasaki Kojiro where he used the Ore) There was an early duel with a samurai who's name escapes me where he to the utter suprise of the onlookers as well as his opponent pulled his companion sword in his left hand useing it to parry the katana and counterstrike with his own katana. I'll search for the spacifics, i've seen it listed in several books.

Think about it logicly though. If your an individual who can control both hands very well then blocking and countering in a single motion becomes much faster and more effective with 2 swords.

Comment

Individual's capability

Think about it logicly though. If your an individual who can control both hands very well then blocking and countering in a single motion becomes much faster and more effective with 2 swords.
                              Well said, IF you are capable to handle and control "two heavy" swords, not bokutos.

Comment

Working...
                              X