X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Training

Before I go any further, I just would like to introduce myself and just say hello to this board, even though I have already posted a few things on here.

I will admit, by interest in Anime has gotten me interested in Kendo and other Japanese martial arts, but ever since I decided to join the Kendo club at my college, I have loved it ever since. I feel that this is something that I will be doing into old age. I also teach myself the Japanese language on the side in hopes I will be able to attend a class while in college without taking a million credits while doing so.

Now onto my question. Because it is summer vacation, I obviously can't attend classes. But also, I won't be able to attend the classes at the dojos here in Atlanta because of a tight budget (I don't have any bogu, hakama, or keikogi). So I am just asking for opinions on how someone with limited space in the house and a very rocky yard can best benefit from practicing to keep my Kendo up during my 3 month absence? If there is anyone who lives in the Atlanta area (Gwinnett County) who would like a practice partner, I am free.

I also plan on going to Japan to study abroad for a semester as well. For those that have trained in Japan without Japanese being their native language, how much trouble will I have if I attended a dojo there?

Sorry for the double-post, but there is also another question that I would like to know, just for kicks. Does anyone here know how many black people practice kendo? And to avoid too many questions, yes, I am black myself.

Comment

Hmmmm good question, none in my dojo although he have one hispanic female. The only female in my club, as to your question have you thought about seiza subori, and you could also use the off time to cross train, hammer curls with weights, LOTS of cardio. I am probably one of the least experienced on this board, but I can tell you that you can never go wrong with Cardio.

Comment

Hanzo san is right. Suburi and cardio. Get or keep yourself in shape over the summer. If you go to a gym or have a uncarpeted hallway/room at home you can also practice your suriashi.

Perhaps a good instructional video? Maybe some of the other people on the Fourm can make some suggestions. Subscribe to Kendo World Magazine.

Our dojo is in the San Fernando Valley and we have a very diverse membership. All our sensei may be Japan born but as far as the students go we have all shades of Americans and several from other countries. You would not be the only black guy at our dojo. Also, I know 2 black Sensei, one from SoCal area and another in Texas.

Good Luck!

Comment

i agree. go to the gym and lift weights. you should also try lifting the weights on your left arm, because, like me, i have a tendency to use my right arm more often. need to balance both arm.

i tried practicing in my room, which has a wooden floor, but i almost a hole on my ceilling. so whenever i practice at home, i do strong slashes in a slower pace just to be careful not to make a hole...lolz

Comment

Originally posted by Anime12478
            Sorry for the double-post, but there is also another question that I would like to know, just for kicks. Does anyone here know how many black people practice kendo? And to avoid too many questions, yes, I am black myself.
            We got a few in our dojo.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
            X