Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple martial arts?

Greetings,

What do You think about training more than 1 martial art at the same time(kendo+aikido here)? Will it result in being weak in both of them or maybe my suspicions are incorrect? Should we devote ourselves to one thing or is there nothing bad in it?

P.S. My first post on KW so Hello everyone

Soul_Reaver

With my experience you must practice both equally the same amount - that doesn't mean you cut both practice times in half just to accommodate yourself. If you practice kendo for an hour - you then must practice aikido for another hour. If you shorten any parts of it - whether be time or effort you're losing out more then you'll ever gain in one style.

Comment

Case-by-case.

Originally posted by Soul_Reaver
      Greetings,

What do You think about training more than 1 martial art at the same time (kendo+aikido here)? Will it result in being weak in both of them or maybe my suspicions are incorrect? Should we devote ourselves to one thing or is there nothing bad in it?

P.S. My first post on KW so Hello everyone

Soul_Reaver
      It depends on your time and motivation. Step one: keep them separate in your head. Step two: keep them separate in your body. Step three: practice each art with awareness. If you cannot make regular class practices more than once a week, then practice at home regularly.

HTH,

Comment

MMMhhh....

I would think that you should practice one, until you reach a level of proficency high enough ,that will enable you not to get them mixed up.

Comment

I would have to agree on that one - unless if the two styles are foundamentally different and have no relation with each other whatsoever. For example: karate, taekwondo, kung-fu, and few others have same basics (of course some variation). This you should just pick one and train for awhile. But say if you're interested in capoeria and krav maga - then you could study both - gdlk on it though because no matter what 2 styles you're studying - you might burn yourself out.

Comment

Actually i have 2 trainings each per week,but without Aikido it would have been 4 kendo trainings per week....a lot more progress than 2. I must say that more and more I train kendo the more doubts i have about "wasting" my time on aikido...

Comment

Well then the answer should be obvious to you then.

Comment

I too would suggest training a little more in one art then branching out to the other.

I had been practicing aikido for around two years before taking up kendo. It wasn't until the last couple of months that I started taijiquan also.

If you are the type of person who picks up techniques, internal body mechanics and sensation easily then go ahead.

Also, you are not wasting your time in aikido. It is just harder and takes longer to see good results in aikido, whereas you can muscle your way through kendo techniques or just get fitter to win matches.

Remember that in aikido, no-one is the winner or loser.

It has taken me almost three years of practice in aikido to prepare my body for learning. Besides, aikido practice should give you more of an edge in taisabaki (body movement) for tsubazeriai during kendo.

Call is a baised post, but my prime art is in aikido.

Comment

I think it will all end up with me training both of them still...i just wouldn't have enough strength to stop one of the things i love ;p Let the time show me what is right...

Comment

Do it while you're young!

I do more than one but the others* take a back seat to kendo.

*Judo, plus kickboxing and mixed martial arts with friends/training partners. I actually haven't been to judo in almost a year because I have a baby now! That's why I said, do it while you're young!

Comment

I used to do more than one martial art at a time, although it didnt matter to much to me, I was doing Judo and Ju jitsu at the same time.
                      So it sort of made me better at both of them.

Comment

I have pretty much done 2 styles of martial arts for many years of my training.

I did zen do kai freestyle karate and also Muay Thai. I trained pretty hard while doing both and kept my motivation.

I am now training Aikido and kendo aswell now.

Do it while u can..

Pete

Comment

"Remember that in aikido, no-one is the winner or loser."

And that differs from kendo?.

"whereas you can muscle your way through kendo techniques or just get fitter to win matches."

How so?. You can't 'win' without technique and technique got very little to do with musclestrength.

Jakob

Comment

Originally posted by Soul Blade
                            I have pretty much done 2 styles of martial arts for many years of my training.

I did zen do kai freestyle karate and also Muay Thai. I trained pretty hard while doing both and kept my motivation.

I am now training Aikido and kendo aswell now.

Do it while u can..

Pete
                            My friends in Toowoomba used to do Zen Do Kai, it was supposed to be pretty good.
                            Where in Aus do you do it??

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
                              "Remember that in aikido, no-one is the winner or loser."

And that differs from kendo?.

"whereas you can muscle your way through kendo techniques or just get fitter to win matches."

How so?. You can't 'win' without technique and technique got very little to do with musclestrength.

Jakob
                              What I meant to say was in aikido, we try not to compete against those we are practicing with.

Yes, of course there has got to be a certain level of technique to be proficient, but I think muscle can can get by at the lower levels, until the person learns not to force techniques. As with aikido, purely relying on muscle strength will get nowhere at all, but what I should have said was that in aikido, using muscle strength alone will get you nowhere quicker than in kendo.

Is that any clearer?

Comment

Working...
                              X