X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches after Kendo class

It's becoming quite common for me to have splitting headaches around half an hour after the conclusion of my kendo class. I'm used to headaches, but these ones make me lay in bed all day and the pain seems to be coming from the back of my head just above the neck/nape area.

Now I'm not one to complain about something that could be wroten off as minor and I know that my fellow kendokas do te-no-uchi since I've already experienced what my teacher calls lumberjack axe clubbing and proper te-no-uchi cutting techniques. I've also already bought a head pad to lessen the blows, but what strikes me funny is that the headache begins half an hour later as I approach my home and not during or after class.

Any ideas anyone?

Agua...mas Agua? I get headaches similar to what you describe if I get dehydrated. Then again, I'm not a doctor - but I play one on TV.

Comment

u play a doctor? kewl..

for ur question, go see a doctor.. seriously, i dont think its normal..

Comment

!Mucho aqua!

It used to happen to me too. I suggest first taking Paikea's implied advice and drink lots of water before and after keiko. You live in Mexico? Ok, I mean, LOTS of water! Just guzzle the stuff!
        Besides probably helping you avoid the headaches, it will also help you feel less sore generally, as lactic acid bonds with hydrogen and won't build up in your body (from what i've heard).
        Dehydration can do weird things to your body, seriously bad things too. If the water regimen doesn't improve anything next time, then it might be something different. Then take mystic's advice, and see a doctor!
        !Hasta la vista, amigo!

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea
          Agua...mas Agua? I get headaches similar to what you describe if I get dehydrated. Then again, I'm not a doctor - but I play one on TV.
          Maybe also food. I used to get water headaches, I mean dehydration headaches. But the same thing happened from lack of food. Granted, don't eat so much that you will lose it all during practice, but do you go to practice when you normally would be eating? Or maybe a snack on the way home will help to hold off the headaches.

These two things happened to me in the past. Maybe you have it too.

I wish I played a doctor on TV... then I would be cool...

Comment

Same with me. I drink about 2L of water after practice and I drink a lot during the day before practice. It has gotten rid of my headaches. I also make sure to eat after...that usually helps out for the next day.

Comment

I drink around 1.5 litres after every practice.

Comment

If the water/electrolites/sugar (ie. gatorade) does not work, test to see if your shoulders stiffen up after class. You might also be getting tension headaches from your neck muscles. I tend to get headaches a few hours after weight lifting if I don't stretch out my shoulders enough. The trick of course in kendo is to practice with relaxed shoulders. It improves your speed, timing and balance in addition to lots of other nice things. It is however an easy thing to know, and a hard thing to do. I have been working on that problem for years with limited success.
                Hope this helps

Comment

delphideo, lay off the beers after practice and you won't get any more headaches!

Comment

What Marine_Boy said.

Delphideo: I presume that you're new to bogu? If that's the case, is your head positioned well in the men? Could it be that extra pressure is exerted on your neck/shoulder area from poor positioning of men? Sometimes when my neck gets too tensed (like when I look down to study for extended period of time), I get headaches too.

Comment

One of my sempai told me you could get a headache by tying your tenugi too tightly, maybe that can help....

Comment

Pain

I wondered... how tall are you? Becose when you train with someone smal, they hit men in face, not in the top of your head. And i think it can be the cause of your headaches...

Or may be your tenugui. give it a try!!

Have you told this to your sensei?

Cheers

Deco

Comment

i will also suggest you to check your kamae when you receive men hits
                          you may be leaning forward or something similar which makes you receive them on top of your head which can also cause a bit ! of headache after...

Comment

i get headaches too, but during the time my men is on. I think it is because my men is too tight or something like that. Is that also a cause for headaches?

Comment

Originally posted by shinjinho
                              i get headaches too, but during the time my men is on. I think it is because my men is too tight or something like that. Is that also a cause for headaches?
                              Yup. It could be too tight. Also, check and make sure the men-himo are not twisted. Otherwise the twist may cause excessive pressure at one contact point thus inducing headache.

It can be your tenugui as well. Especially around the ears.

Comment

Working...
                              X