X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to learn kendo alone.

I decided I would take this topic here, since it is more suited to it.

Are there any senseis or experts reading this topic... If yes, you can't understand how much I appreciate your attention..

And I need your help aswell.

While I train, what should I start by.. What should I do.. And how ? What are the first techniques I should learn.. Techniques.. I meant, basics.. heh.. What are the basics move.. Please, tell me how I should start... What I should do each days before training, the procedure, etc... The first students day at a dojo, what does he do, what does he learn, etc..

-Bows- I am honored of your time.

** Please, do not consider that it is impossible. I am sure I can do it with alot of help. I know without help it is impossible, but with alot of help I shall be able to. Don't consider that I ain't taking it seriously, this is my reason of living, my purpose, my existence, than to become good at kendo... I hadn't the luck to be born at a place where dojos are abundant.. The only martial art there is to learn where I live, in a perimeter of 500 kilometers, is Judo.. No one where I live know kendo, or even believe it exist, but I am determined to learn it, to become good at it.. Whatever the way might be. This year was my last school year.. For the next comings years, I will entirely consacrate to this art.. I need your help, desperatly. The internet is my ONLY way to get in contact with real experts and sensei... Please, share some of your time with me... I am sure I can do it............**

Hi there,

Please read your other thread for my post, ok?

Kaoru

Comment

Kaoru pretty much summed it up in your other post.

I think that the results you've gotten here are a good clue as to what kendo is about and why what you're trying so hard to do just won't happen. Your analogy of learning to drive without having a car and just reading manuals and whatnot is a good example. You can sit in your chair and pretend to steer and press pedals and change gears and honk all you want, but all you're doing is pretending to drive. You can read all the manuals you want, but all you're doing is getting an idea of WHAT driving is, and until you sit in a car you're not driving.
      The same thing happens when you try and learn kendo on your own. What makes it even worse than driving is that kendo is not something you can do on your own, even though it's possible to do some drills by yourself.
      At best what'll happen here is that you'll get some videos and watch people do kendo, and maybe you're some sort of stick swinging prodigy, but what you're doing isn't kendo until you have some sort of dojo to teach you what kendo is. You can learn the terms and swing a shinai, but think about it this way- we all attend dojos and try as hard as we can to get it right, from newbies like me to the experienced kendoka that post on kendo-world. If none of us, with the guidance of sensei and sempai, can really understand kendo, then the chances of getting even remotely close without a dojo are basically nonexistant.
      Please take these posts the wrong way, we're not trying to tell you that your "reason of living, purpose, existence" cannot be achieved. Nobody's saying that- if anything, we're encouraging you to pick up kendo. But trying to learn it on your own is just like playing in puddles and expecting to be an olympian swimmer.
      You'll have plenty of time to learn kendo- don't let this experience discourage you. But at least try and understand where we're coming from. A dojo isn't just a place for people to get together and do what we practiced at home, it's a place where kendo is taught, and without the guidance that comes from a dojo we're just a bunch of dress wearing loons in expensive padding whacking each other silly with sticks.
      Once you get to a dojo I think you'll understand the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Snobody
        Your analogy of learning to drive without having a car and just reading manuals and whatnot is a good example. You can sit in your chair and pretend to steer and press pedals and change gears and honk all you want, but all you're doing is pretending to drive. You can read all the manuals you want, but all you're doing is getting an idea of WHAT driving is, and until you sit in a car you're not driving.

The same thing happens when you try and learn kendo on your own. What makes it even worse than driving is that kendo is not something you can do on your own, even though it's possible to do some drills by yourself.

Once you get to a dojo I think you'll understand the difference.
        Snobody I do agree with your statement that you "are not driving" until you experience and do it. But I dont believe the condition should be as bleak as "you can't do it at all"

Fuuinashi
        There is a term that you need to understand if you intend to learn Kendo by yourself, and this term is very important: it is "feedback". While you may be able to imitate what you see, you will not have a trained eye that is there physically to note anything that you might be doing wrong.

A sensei at a dojo is simply the best resource for this important feedback during your very beginning stages of Kendo training because of the fact that "bad habits are hard to break" This is evident with 7th Dan M.Miyamoto who was 78 years old and going for his 25th attempt for 8th Dan or Hachidan.

When you feel you are doing a waza (form) right, when in fact you are executing the waza wrong, your body will have a hard time when it needs to be corrected. M.Miyamoto said these very words after he had failed the Hachidan test " I cleary wish I had more steady training"

But do not be discouraged with this news, for if you have a will to do Kendo, you will have a way. Do remember, this will require twice your attention to waza, and twice your dedication. Kendo is by no means an easy art to learn. My solution to you is to purchase video cameras. It would be preferrable if you purchased 2 video cameras and tripods for both. With these cameras you will be able to watch yourself and determine if you are doing something correct or incorrect.

I would also recommend that you do not ask for teaching advice in these forums, rather spend your money on buying some good books. You can purchase these books at your local book store or online, and read the reviews of the book before buying it. Members of this forum can recommend good books for you.

Do not do Kendo immediately. You are not trained yet to move as a Kendoist, nor do you have the knowledge of how to move correctly. It is critical that you condition yourself by stretching, jogging, warming up and drinking a lot of water. If there is anything that you could purchase early it is the shinai and nothing else. By holding the shinai in your hands and following the directions from videos and books as well as video taping and reviewing your form you should get better conditioned in several months.

The shinai is pretty light, but the problem is that tends to make it seem easy to swing a shinai. This is not the case, because many people, even the good Kendoists, are constantly trying to improve shinai handling. Your effort should be doubled in this endeavor.

Do not rush into buying armor or any other accessory. There is no need, and your money will be wasted if you are impatient and just want to "feel good".

And lastly, you MUST get yourself to a dojo soon. There is simply no substitute for the physical presence of a sensei to guide you correctly.

Best of luck.
        Last edited by Swissv2; 23rd June 2004, 12:45 PM.

Comment

check your other post too....i didn't there was another one here.

Comment

Working...
          X