Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of Shomen....

Hi,

Our dojo is located in a building that functions mainly as a performing arts institute. As such, we do not have a true shomen, but rather we symbolically bow in the direction set by the Sensei.
    I asked about setting some sort of physical shomen, and the sensei told me we are trying to avoid frictions with our hosts and maintain a friendly attitude towards them.

Nevertheless, I am wondering if some sort of "removable" or "travel" shomen could be deviced, to be set at the beginning of practice and removed at the end.

If so, what should a self-respecting shomen include?

I hoping to present this as a suggestion to our sensei to see what he thinks, but I'd like to present hitm with more than just a vague idea.

If it is simple enough, perhaps I can build it myself and present it to the dojo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Daniel

Any suggestions?

You dont happen to go to the Shidogakuin Dojo in Herndon do you?

Just asking because thats where I go and we have the same setup. (Practicing in a performing arts place.)

Comment

Portable altar

I saw a little altar a while ago on E-bay. It was kind of a box that had 2 doors that you could open and inside you could put a kanji or a picture or something. I think it even had an incense burner en some drawers. Small and portable.

Tried finding it just a little ago but the one i was talking about is gone. However they had some other stuff that would do the job.

Regards,

Louis

www.uiteindhoven.nl

Comment

Shomen means 'front', nothing more.

Do you really need something to bow to? What do you think the bow to the front symbolises? How did your sensei explain it to you?

Hamish

Comment

Originally posted by louisvandalen
          I saw a little altar a while ago on E-bay. It was kind of a box that had 2 doors that you could open and inside you could put a kanji or a picture or something. I think it even had an incense burner en some drawers. Small and portable.

Tried finding it just a little ago but the one i was talking about is gone. However they had some other stuff that would do the job.

Regards,

Louis

www.uiteindhoven.nl
          Sounds like a butsu-dan to me (alter for those deceased). I can't imagine that would be appropriate in a dojo, though.

How about hanging a flag? The shomen at one of the places I practice simply has a Japanese flag. Of course, I would recommend the flag of your club's country. Kendo is getting international, I hear...

Comment

Shomen

I'll take the 5th on that. I am trying to make this a sort of surprise

Daniel

Originally posted by JHusch
            You dont happen to go to the Shidogakuin Dojo in Herndon do you?

Just asking because thats where I go and we have the same setup. (Practicing in a performing arts place.)

Comment

We used to have the little thing with the doors on it at our old Dojo. We also had sake bottles and cups etc. When we bowed we said shinzen rather than shomen. Now that we are in a gym we have swiched back to shomen.

Comment

We used "kamiza ni rei". (sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel

Daniel
                  :P Okay guess I will have to wait and see

Comment

Originally posted by Nishi
                    We used "kamiza ni rei". (sp?)
                    If the shrine at the front is shinto in nature, you would say kamiza ni rei. If it is buddhist, you use shinzen ni rei. If you are a secular dojo, you use shomen ni rei.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel

Daniel
                      Oh yeah forgot to mention, if you need help, just ask

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                        If the shrine at the front is shinto in nature, you would say kamiza ni rei. If it is buddhist, you use shinzen ni rei. If you are a secular dojo, you use shomen ni rei.
                        I believe you are confusing kamiza with kamidana.

In my understanding the former refers to a position relative to the rest of the room, which the highest rank or esteemed guests would sit. It is a seat of honour/respect.

It is often mistaken with the latter (kamidana), which is the name of a Shinto shrine. These Shinto shrines are often found in dojos, which leads to the confusion of the two similar sounding words.

The main difference between saying "kamiza ni rei" and "shomen ni rei", is that:

With "kamiza ni rei" - you're essentially saying, "I'm bowing to the respected seat".

And with "shomen ni rei" - you're essentially saying, "I'm bowing to the front of the room".

Comment

Ah, summertime...time for all the newbies to tell the sensei all about their wealth of "knowledge" while at the same time ressurecting three-year dead threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea View Post
                            ..while at the same time ressurecting three-year dead threads.
                            I want to know how they find them... I'm always having trouble with the search facility on the forum

Comment

I think a nice picture of Elvis's grave, along with other religious items, should be included.

Comment

Working...
                              X