X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger right arm?

does anyone have problem with one arm becoming bigger than the other arm after doing kendo for awhile?

back 7 yrs ago when i used to kendo.. i noticed that my right arm became about twice as big as my left arm.. now i got back in the kendo (found a local dojo after waiting for it for 7 yrs..), and been doing suburi every day, i finding this problem again..

you just need to slow down first. maybe your arm is swollen because of those suburi. also make sure that you warm up first.

~taganahan

Comment

Right Arm?

Would not your left arm be bigger, not your right? from muscle gain anyway.

Comment

Its more than your arms that will become unbalanced if you do it long enough. Kendo is a one sided activity. Always the same hand positon, same foot forward etc. So the balance of you body gets disturbed.

Then again it could be a problem with your right arm joints that get stretched to the limit whereas the left remains slightly flexed. Sounds silly but in normal practice the impact takes away a lot of this but does not do much for the other guys head and neck impact. Perhaps you should get it checked out. Supporters are good idea if they prevent an injury. Sounds like another investigation for Kendo related sports injury. Or maybe they have already done it?

Comment

Kendo is a one sided activity. Always the same hand positon, same foot forward etc. So the balance of you body gets disturbed
          Yups, a physio I saw a few years ago commented on that, saying that I should really swap my foot position for a few months. After starting jodan, my lower body has become a lot more balanced, which has benefitted my back. (I've had back issues for some time now)
          I always had a more developed right arm from playing baseball, but this is now getting more balanced as well, although the muscles develop differently from left to right.

Your left arm will catch up eventually, once you start using it properly, but it will develop differently from the right.

Jakob

Comment

It's normal for one arm to develop faster. Tennis players and Tin Pin bowlers have this issue alot. I've been told by a physio that you need to excercise the other arm.

Alot of the AUstralian criket team play golf leading with their "other" arm.

Comment

To complete

I agree with the golfers. Kendo is not a sport that should be done alone. Other trainings should complete the full workout. Try fittness, or get some dumbels and do 50 armcurls every day with as much wait as you can carry. Push ups are also fine, try as much as you can at least 3 times a week.

Regards,

Louis
              www.uiteindhoven.nl

Comment

Ever since I started iaido and kendo, my right arm has developed more than my left arm. I'd say it's pretty normal. If it bothers you that much, see a doctor or just work your left arm more.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet08
                  does anyone have problem with one arm becoming bigger than the other arm after doing kendo for awhile?
                  Left Arm - Kendo
                  Right Arm - Get yourself a girlfriend!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan
                    Left Arm - Kendo
                    Right Arm - Get yourself a girlfriend!!!
                    Bugger! I was going to say that.

Comment

An oldie, but a goldie!

Comment

got a wife.. don't need my right arm for that

Comment

i would have expected the left to be getting bigger..?

Comment

Working...
                          X