• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You call those blisters???

Stop being a sissy and get to practise!

Comment

Originally posted by maxalex
      I know the rules - NO PAIN NO GAIN.
      Not in my rulebook.. If it hurts.. you are doing it wrong.

Take time off.. let it heal.

Nexttime, take things slowly, look at your footwork, do not be rushed.

You are in this sport/art/way for life.. dont damage yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan
        You call those blisters???

Stop being a sissy and get to practise!
        It's only a flesh wound.

maxalex,
        That is a normal-looking "kendo" blister. You won't be able to do practice even if you tried. Give it a week to heal.

Comment

I agree with Hai Hai that is raw flesh right there...it's not the same as what I call a hyper callus, if you practice on that it won't heal, it will just break open and you won't be able to grow new skin back. Don't worry this will stop after awhile, when I first started I was constantly shedding skin on the bottom of my left foot. Not to that degree though, you just have tender feet.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin13
            Man, thats gotta hurt. I remember Tanaka sensei telling us....something to do with blisters. I am extremly sorry I just blacked out. Just, dont do what your doing! ok? (laughs) sorry.
            Sensei Robin Tanaka?

Comment

I suffer from a lot of blisters too....

when they break open like that, all you can do is bandage them up with some antiseptic.....

it's also a bitch trying to step in proper kumae with a painful blister... so if it's going to f-up your training? sit the day out.

Also the sliding nature of kumae makes bandages on the ball of the foot come off faster than a dress on prom night. so there's another reason to sit it out...

however blisters on the toes can be bandaged and taped over with hockey tape and you're good to go.

If the blister hasn't broken yet, dont pop it... there's too much risk of infection.

Instead apply a bandage with a lot of pressure.... this might hurt, but the pressure makes the body absorb the fluids again, and that skin becomes hard.

It's like growing natural scales!

Between practices, pamper your feet.
              Vaseline on the blister helps cut down the friction of walking around, and makes it comfortable too.

Comment

you can get relief by......

ok before i post this iam not implying this is the only way to help his blisters...it is just the way i have learned to deal with them....so for all that like to say i post improperly ,,,the public service announcement has been made...lol

super glue, super glue ,super glue....

after you tear off the old skin and your pink flesh is exposed...let the air hit it for about 5 minutes ...after that take super glue and spread it over the exposed area...after it dries repeat it 2 more times...it will form a hard layer and you can still practice...when the super glue heals your skin should be healed as well....

again i stress that this is the way we do it(marines, soldiers )....only a technique..not a rule...good luck and try it before you mock it.....thanks

Comment

Now that sounds a bit painfull, but it can't be worse than that new skin stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SOLDIER
                    super glue, super glue ,super glue....
                    WOW
                    have you tried this yourself? that would be a good idea... super glue always forms a hard parch on my skin if i spill it, so i think it would probably be good to walk on....

I've heard of super glue used in emergency medical situations like when there's no stitching available, but i still wonder about how healthy it is to put that on yout body, several times a month.

Comment

Originally posted by nalogg
                      I've heard of super glue used in emergency medical situations like when there's no stitching available, but i still wonder about how healthy it is to put that on yout body, several times a month.
                      It may not be the same formula now, in fact it probably has been changed to make it cheaper and easier to deal with, but the stuff was originally developed as an alternative to surgical stitches, glue the incision shut instead of stitching it. It never really caught on though because surgeons kept getting the wrong pieces of the patient glued together, gluing their fingers together, gluing their fingers to the patient or their insturments, etc.

So I'm thinking it was safe in the original formulation, but who knows how much it's changed. I don't have a tube handy, what's it say on the tube about getting it on your skin?

Comment

super glue

well it was invented for medical purposes ...i think for special forces ...during jungle warfare and training infection can creep in very fast if you are scratched..so the glue will form a water tight barrier....like i said give this a try....

i have used this a few times myself..in the field in the military and in kendo..it is painless and cheap....if you put 3 layers on your blister it will actually cleanse the blister area ...as an added buffer it forms a hard layer....

they sell some skin stuff in the store...look at the ingredients..they are the same as super glue....

super glue is also used as a forensic indicator .....you know for fingerprints....

Comment

That happens all the time for me. The way we used to fix it in Japan was by not caring. We'd just wrap it in gauze, tape it up, and go right back into practice. If its just a skin injury you're not going to aggravate it too much, as long as its taped up. The only thing you have to worry about from that point is the pain, and that's just a matter of endurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch Knight
                            That happens all the time for me. The way we used to fix it in Japan was by not caring. We'd just wrap it in gauze, tape it up, and go right back into practice. If its just a skin injury you're not going to aggravate it too much, as long as its taped up. The only thing you have to worry about from that point is the pain, and that's just a matter of endurance.
                            Fair enough... i'm a pretty stoic individual, but stepping in kumae requires sliding your feet along, and that just RIPS the tape right off, especially on the sticky olympium floors that are in use for the entire day.... i know from my karate days that if you just ignore blisters they rip- form new blisters, and bleed, or get infected... it's not pretty

after a while it moves from stoicism to courtesy.
                            ie: who wants to see you trailing blood, or puss across the dojo?

Comment

I know the superglue technique is in used by barefoot skiers as well as martial artist. I use to get blisters pretty bad and if it got that bad I would use some kind of antiseptic ointment coat the entire wound, place a gauze pad over the wound and wrap in athletic tape. if your worried about it coming off wrap it onto the skin itself (not over the injured part) and between second and third toe to give the ball of your foot some support. After practice wear the bandage home, take it off when you take a show, and place in a light dressing for the remainder of the day. Repeat this for the days of practice and light bandages when youa re not. after the second day remove the bandage and elivate the foot for a couple hours while you watch TV or something. Repeat the process til the wound heals.

To help harden your feet dont wear shoes or socks around the house or the yard. You still have to be carefull what you step on but it does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by psywarblade
                                To help harden your feet dont wear shoes or socks around the house or the yard. You still have to be carefull what you step on but it does the trick.
                                good call!

i forgot about that... it really does help

side note:
                                ever notice sitcoms.... the characters never go barefoot...
                                and they're supposed to be at home, what's the deal?

all my life i've AT LEAST had to take off shoes in a house

at least once i'd like to see raymond kick off his boots and put his feet on the coffee table or something

REALISM

Comment

Working...
                                X