Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice - first practice blisters (pics inside)

Hello,

I went to my first Kendo practice on Monday and had 2 blisters (see the attached pic).

I want to go to practice tomorrow, but not sure if I would be able to handle the pain (tried to tape it up this morning and practiced okuri ashi). I know the rules - NO PAIN NO GAIN. However, should I let it heal at least a bit more? What do you think? Please advice.

THANKS.
    Attached Files

yikes, the blisters looks pretty bad. You peeled the skin off didn't you? Next time don't. just let it stay on and then only peel it off after it dries up. If I were you, i would tape it up and go to practice. your will continuously get blisters on your feet for the first 10 monthes, so if you should feel like you need to take a break every time you get a blister. It may take you awhile to advance. But, I don't like choosing for someone. I think you have to think of it like this "will I regret not going to practice?" and then proceed from that point. Good luck,

Comment

Masahiro, Thanks for the input.
      Originally posted by Masahiro
      You peeled the skin off didn't you?
      I actually did not peeled the skin off - got the big one in the middle of practice (approx. 1 hour in) and the skin ripped in 10-15 minutes...

Comment

Wooo...that looks nasty. I'd recommend you to take it easy until it heals up. When I was doing my military service, everybody used to get lots of blisters by doing lots of walking in hard boot and my senior used to show me how to ease the pain and make it heal faster....I don't suggest anyone to try this but it was one of those funny thing I learnt in the army. He used to puncture the blister through from one side with a thin needle with cotton thread attached and all stuff inside will get absorbed by the thread as it comes out through the other side. Patch up with some anitseptic cream and bandage on to finish.
        Bit rough way of treating the blister I guess but at least we never forgot to sterilize the needle with cigarlett lighter.

Comment

ewww....you shouldn't really peel them. just wait for them to dry off, until the skin hardens and that the skin under it hardens too. maybe you should take a practice off. let it dry out for now.

~taganahan

Comment

Introducing more moisture to the area results in possible infection and may cause further discomfort with more tearing of the non-dead skin.

"no pain no gain" for your reference is within reason of muscle soreness, but the body is the body and you should take care of that.

In this situation you should first wash the affected areas then apply neosporin or any other anticeptic to the affected areas. Keep it dry to allow the skin to naturally bond and heal itself, and keeping it dry will also expediate in the healing process.

Your blisters may be from the fact that you are creating a friction of soft skin that you dont use often resulting in the separation and formulation of the blister. With more practice in the coming months, your feet will gradually condition and become tougher and you will not encounter having blisters that often.

Comment

Man, thats gotta hurt. I remember Tanaka sensei telling us....something to do with blisters. I am extremly sorry I just blacked out. Just, dont do what your doing! ok? (laughs) sorry.

Comment

Let me know what you decide to do. Whether you are going or not, either way no one will fault you for it.

Comment

man, that's disgusting...i'd take it easy for a while if i were you...my sensei was telling us that one time his foot got infected...it turned green and he couldnt walk on it for two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Taek
                    He used to puncture the blister through from one side with a thin needle with cotton thread attached and all stuff inside will get absorbed by the thread as it comes out through the other side. Patch up with some anitseptic cream and bandage on to finish.
                    That's actually quite a common way to deal with blisters. Some people will leave the thread in the blister for a bit, so the fluid will continue to drain out. Antiseptic crean and bandage prevent infection. But if you're going to resume the march shortly, I guess you can't leave the thread in and must patch up quickly and go.

Comment

or you can make a little hole and let it ooze out....eeck!
                      why did you have to post that blister picture?

~taganahan

Comment

Crikey! I thought my feet blistered bad at first! Definatly take some time to let that heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Masahiro
                          Let me know what you decide to do. Whether you are going or not, either way no one will fault you for it.
                          Except me!

If you shirk training because of a couple of blisters, then what will you do if it is raining hard, or you don't feel like going, or insert favourite excuse here?

This is not a joke. Stop being such a martyr. Stop encouraging others to share in your martyrdom.

Comment

hahahahaha. yeah but he's a newbie, we can't be too tough on the new ones, or we'll scare them away.

Comment

I personally use tape to protect the exposed skin and prevent the blisters from getting ripped open. Once my feet are healed I use talc powder to reduce the friction. Your feet will still take a beating each pratice but the skin usually doesn't break. So in the end can you practice more and get harder feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X