X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in my head

Two days ago I had my first Ji-Geiko in Bogu. I received some hits in Men and they were so painful to me (they almost just throw away all my enthusiasm to Kendo away). I had a little pain to the end of the day and today still feel something (not painful) on the top of my head. Is my head so weak or most people you fight don't hit so hard as my partner in ji-geiko? Have you ever have problem like that?

You may need to increase the amount of padding in the men. They make special foam or other materials that can go into the crown and cover the top of your head. I have seen it many times; it just hurts more for some people than for others in that spot. Or, yes, your partner could have been right-handing you. Please don't lose your enthusiasm. Try the extra padding, and talk to sensei.

Comment

Men Pad

True, the menpad works really well. I practiced without at start but now that I have it I won't remove it anymore. Ask your sparring partner to score a point and not to break your head. It's a game, not a war. Though I have the same problem, I find it hard to train fast and stop the men in time (so others complain that it hurts).

Best Regards,

Louis van Dalen
      www.uiteindhoven.nl

Comment

keep your chin out, not up, but out, the reason for this is that your men is not protected at the middle of the top, which is where you are getting hit, if you head is upright in its normal stance the shinai should hit the leather just above the men-gane(grill) so it shouldn't hurt..

the reason i said dont put your chin up, is then the shinai will be directly hitting the metal grill and will effectively smash the shinai into bits.. especially if hes right-handing/bruting his shinai

Comment

I suggest that you try inserting a mouse pad to provide additional shock absorption in addition to following the advice given above. I presume the men is not new?

Comment

a mouse pad? are you joking or does it really work?

Comment

Yes, Men is not new but in good condition.
              Of course mouse pad would work but it looks like ... mouse pad on the head
              Thanks to all for your answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishii
                Yes, Men is not new but in good condition.
                Of course mouse pad would work but it looks like ... mouse pad on the head
                Thanks to all for your answers.
                Place the mouse pad, or additional men protector inside the men in between the top of the men futon and uchiwa.
                Men strikes don't hurt when the person hits the front of my men. It's more painful in the middle part where there is less padding. The padding tapers on my men, thick in front, thinner in back.

Comment

Need to keep your head up high as you can , so you only get hit on the mesh part .

Comment

tying the men

hi ishii,

i experienced (once) the same as you. my head is very sensitive in the topmost area and i had such an old, soft men, i nearly started crying... i think this was the point when i realized that it's all about tying the men properly. if the men-futon rests on your head, then it will always hurt when you get hit. since you said the men is in good condition and it was your first ji-geiko, this might be the case.

stuff your head as deep as possible into the "frame" for the face and see to it that your forehead and your chin touch the respective pads. adjust the men in a way that you see through the widest gap of the mengane and then tie it tight. between the top of your head and the men-futon should be some space.

good luck and don't loose your enthusiasm!

Comment

i also have the same experience. this guy was hitting soo hard that i almost blacked out. after that hit, i also felt very light headed. some people hit hard on you other people are just too tall that they can't avoid hitting the middle part of the men. just keep on doing Kendo and you'll get used to it. take this opportunity to practice dodging the strikes.

~taganahan

Comment

Thanks guys!
                        Last ji-geiko was great experience. I put pad under my Men and tried to keep my head straight and it works! Strikes in my Men was hard but it was not so painful as before. Thanks, you really helped me!

Comment

Working...
                        X