Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Any body bet their own sensei in a shiaijo?

sometime young high grade players have more speed and power can win against their own sensei . Is it right or wrong to do so, cause after all they taught you everything you know.

Start a new school

Start your own Kendo Dojo once you beat your sensei. Damn, mine has the proportions of an oak, it will take me 20years of practice to win from this dude. And that's because he'll use his shinai as a walking stick by that time.

Regards,

Louis
    www.uiteindhoven.nl

Comment

It's never come up, but I suppose it could happen. Lots of senior people lose points to younger players in shiai, it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. We all (should) know that there's a world of difference between tagging your sensei with dekote in the shiaijo and actually getting to his real kendo level.

Comment

actually i saw it once,

one guy from budai named Andou who was like 20 years old ( dannyboy should know him) completly destroying in jigeiko the coach of the team (7th dan). That was so impressive.

Comment

Odd, I just don't see any of the Canadian guys "completely destroying" Ray. Take some points off him, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Disciple.k
            sometime young high grade players have more speed and power can win against their own sensei . Is it right or wrong to do so, cause after all they taught you everything you know.
            This is nothing new... they made a movie about it... Star Wars... Darth Vadar vs. Ben Obi Wan Kenobi.
            Watch and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
              This is nothing new... they made a movie about it... Star Wars... Darth Vadar vs. Ben Obi Wan Kenobi.
              Watch and learn.
              Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Reputation+

Comment

'Beat' Them or Not?

I used to think about this when I was in my 20's to early 30's. Wanting to 'beat' the sensei and the seniors. However I came to realize that even if I could beat them at shiai I never really beat them. The question is could you beat them when they were in their physical prime? They have already been there and you are getting there because they are showing you the way.

We all know we slow down as we age to some degree. Even so quite often we still find ourselves unable to get that elusive perfect strike on the sensei. Earlier this year I had the pleasure of getting picked apart by a 73 yo hachidan who had recently gone through cancer treatment and lost a lot of weight. I still could not get to him effectively. I am left to wonder what kind of lesson I would have gotten from him if he were in his 30's.

As far as shiai, that is the way it goes when you enter a shiai. You always stand the chance of losing to someone younger, faster or even much less skilled. I have seen it many times, but I sure am not going to go out and model my kendo on that person just because they 'beat' a sensei or senior. You may beat them and in a shiai you should do your best to do so. Question is do you possess the knowledge they have?

Comment

didnt ben kenobi lose because he was retarded and switched his lightsabre off?

Comment

ray losing? i've never seen him do kendo, specifically keiko, for a very long time.
                    i think it's because of his knees.

~taganahan

Comment

I dont think that beating your sensei really matters. Most senseis say that as long as you practice proper form and have good spirit winning is unimportant. What would matter is if the student who scored a point against their sensei got cocky and thought that he/she was better than the sensei which might not be true.I

Comment

You all make kendo sound like some sort of glory sport. This young guy may have "destroyed" the sensei, but that fact remains was it beautiful? Was it kendo? I can guarantee you never looked at his footwork or form. All you saw was this youngster snapping fast degote and half assed men. I am also confident that out of the 30 points points by the youngster, they were all humbled in comparison to one beautiful shot by the captain.

It is sad that after reading so many posts in this forum in various topics over a long period of time, there are very few people here that understand kendo. To understand kendo is the first step to actually doing kendo. from there it is an uphill battle. However, that is why those people that understand continue to post and share their wealth with everyone and that is tremendous. Kudos to you.

I think i know what sensei you are talking about (hanshi hachidan) as it is my sensei. I have gotten many points off him. But VERY few of them are actually anything worth speaking about. There have been 2 times in my 7 years of kendo where he actually bowed to me and accepted one of my points.

Comment

losing to student

What would be the point of teaching if I was in competition with my student. I am hopeful they will all beat me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyprime
                            I think i know what sensei you are talking about (hanshi hachidan) as it is my sensei.
                            Sorry, no I do not think you know him. He has only practiced in Seattle and Anchorage during his visits from Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                              didnt ben kenobi lose because he was retarded and switched his lightsabre off?

He didnt switch it off....he just opened his kamae accepting defeat. He knew he would become even more powerfull, when Vader killed him.

Comment

Working...
                              X