X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books and Video, your opinion?

Someone made a good point in another post about learning on your own. I wanted to get some more opinions on learning from books or video as there are currently many many many many (did I mention many) books and videos on just about every martial art there is. I myself like to think of them as base material from which you can get a general idea but definetly not the whole picture. As examples I'm reading a book on about mastering Eishin-Ryu swordsmanship called flashing steel. Do I expect to complete this book and all it's exercises thus making me a swordsman? No. Do I expect to have fun reading the contents and trying the exercises? Yes of course. Do I feel that I would be ready to be more then a beginner after completing this book and repeting it's exercises at least 400 times each over a period of time? No because a book can't correct you when you do it wrong, if you do the technique properly it's only because you got lucky. However even if it's only marginal I do believe that you will have gained some ideas of the concepts and at the very least won't be totally alien to them while being trained. However I should point out that I'm the type of person who easily forgets an experience if I experience something that I feel is better. So I could easily be trained by a master while totaly forgetting anything in the book, it's just part of the way I am about learning. That's my thoughts on learning from books anyway though I like to hear what others have to say.

There is one important thing that separates books and video from actual training from a sensei: interactive feedback.

You are correct in understanding that books and videos can only give information. When you learn something in class but need further explaination than what your sensei gives you, then you will find the books and videos helpful.

Comment

Working...
    X