Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic home training vrs dojo training

home training vrs dojo training

To all swords art students Which is better?, Home training or Dojo training?

Guest replied
    Well I've bought the japanese ps2 except the game and instead of playing a game or doing the actual kendo game, I don't train at home any more.

Leave a comment:

• SaitoHajime
    replied
    Originally posted by Tsurugi
    about the watching suggestion... The class doesn't start until 7:30 P.M. And besides I can't really risk about 550 (maybe) bucks on the equipment and classes. I could purchase a brand new japanese version ps2 with that money.
    Then it's settled, buy a ps2 and find a game with swords. Also while playing other games take time out to send a note to various game developers asking for a kendo simulator game that we'd all love. There you go, all problems solved. No worrying about pain, no monthly fees or hitting/getting hit. Sounds like a plan.

Leave a comment:

• Anime12478
    replied
    Just like video gaming is an expensive hobby, Kendo is an expensive hobby as well. While I have yet to buy the uniform and the bogu, I am not looking forward to the time that I have to fork over the money. But since this is something that I want to do, I will be willing to pay the cash when I need to.

From the looks of it, you seem to be more worried about the monetary aspect of Kendo rather than the many benefits that come with it. I know how you feel though because I am an avid gamer like you. The best trick is to just do it as long as you can afford it and not think about the total cost. If people looked into how much children cost these days until they reach the age of 18, there would be a lot less children around. What people do is they look at the benefits of having children and do the payments along the way. While it is still expensive either way, it is something to do which will keep us happy.

If you can't afford it, then I understand. Not everybody has $1 million at their disposal (I wish I had that money!). But if you are not willing to afford it, then you may have your priorities placed differently.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    about the watching suggestion... The class doesn't start until 7:30 P.M. And besides I can't really risk about 550 (maybe) bucks on the equipment and classes. I could purchase a brand new japanese version ps2 with that money.

Leave a comment:

• YAMAFELL
    replied
    All kids should be allowed to have a hobby. I am sure that that extra money wouldn't be a problem from your parents if you took some from an allowance or something, maybe tell them to pay it upfront and then $5 every month or whatever goes them instead of you from now on.

If you really want to try to learn kendo, maybe just go to the dojo and watch a few times. Talk to the sensei, and have your parents come too. Then make the choice. You can always go in to visit before making a choice, it is actually more polite to go in and watch before choosing to practice within a dojo anyway.

Don't worry about costs about bogu, you won't need that for a while..

If you are worried about pains... well... Kendo is a tough art, at first it will just be pains for getting your body used to the movents to make. (when made corectly) When I first started standing with my feet parallel gave me a hard time with my chubby knees, but now, I do fine. (And it has only been 8 months!)

Just do yourself a favor, and visit the dojo to watch. I don't think you have seen that much of kendo before, and if you see it, maybe you will want to play it more or understand that it isn't right for you. At least you won't question yourself or be unsure.. Just visit and say, "It looks intresting, but I am not sure if it is right for me... Can you give me some information about it?" Then you can ask about the money issues, bogu issues, pain issues...

GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• moocow65
    replied
    I prefer home training waaaaaaaaaay over dojo training because I can do exercises that focus mainly on what I need to improve in i.e. wrists, hips, accuracy. Then again, I have been doing kendo for a while and I can create exercises on my own that improve each of these aspects.

Leave a comment:

• indigo0086
    replied
    I know for certain you can teach yoursef <insert your name>-jutsu, but you can't teach yourself kendo.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    oh man never mind. I can't go to the dojo. Lately I've been concerned because of the expenses of the classes. 25 bucks a month but 250 bucks for registration.

Leave a comment:

• Anime12478
    replied
    If you are worried about a little pain, then Kendo is not for you. All of us can tell you about the blisters and numb limbs that we came home from practice with when we started out. You just gotta remember that over time, the pain becomes less and less.

When I started last year, I went back to my dorm not being able to lift even the lightest of stuff with ease because my arms were so exausted. And then there was the time where I couldn't walk correctly for 2 weeks because of the exercise when you kneel down and you block, then jump and hit the do and repeat (the name escapes me).

Basically, don't be afraid of pain. It is something that we all have to go through in our lives. As long as you remember that the pain will be over and that you stretch correctly before and after practice (which I should have done the night my legs gave out), you will be fine. I hope you enjoy Kendo!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    (Sighs) forget the location I already found one. In norwalk.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    All right. I've decided I'll try Kendo for a month. But the only problem is, I don't know any kendo locations nearby Fullerton, California. Do you guys know?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tsurugi, I first started kendo when I lived in Fullerton. I went to the Orange County Buddhist Church (OCBC) Kendo Dojo in Anaheim. It's less than twenty minutes away.

Here's a link.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think you guys are right about training in a dojo because to tell you all the truth, Crude, homemade techniques are kind of hard to create. I might have a small problem that if I did join kendo, I might have pain in some of my bodyparts...

Leave a comment:

• Anime12478
    replied
    I wouldn't think that bogu would be too heavy. If you go to a competition, you may sometimes see people as young as six or seven competing in full armor. With the proper training the bogu shouldn't be a problem.

About the making your own techniques, if you want to do that, then that is fine. As long as it's safe, showing your creativity is something I like to see in a world full of followers. But I believe that you should also understand the techniques that you are doing. Anybody can swing a sword around and put names onto a technique. But it takes a martial artist to have a point behind the technique. Basically, there should be a reason you are doing the techniques that you are doing "because it's cool"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X