X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first day in bogu report

Yes, these threads are ubiquitous... but man was it a lot of fun.

I started kendo last february, so it's been about six/seven months of training without bogu.

Last month, the sensei told me to look into buying a set of bogu because I would be ready in about a month. So I looked around, did research (read a lot of posts in the bogu section here as part of it), weighed my options, and talked to people in the club about their experiences with different brands.

Well, two weeks ago the sensei in the middle of practice just said, yes, it's time, get bogu and wear it.

So I got a set, and I wore it this past wednesday.

First thing I noticed is that it wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. Well not including the men. I dont' have a problem with the do and tare, and the kote feel like mittens (as people told me they would). They do hold in the heat very well... just means more sweat.

The men, well I'm not used to having weight being tied to my face and forehead, because that is what if feels like. I'll get used to it no doubt, but just something I noticed right off the bat.

Practice itself... that was awesome... that's the only way to discribe it at the moment.

We ran through all the drills without men on, then put men on and did kiri-kaeshi and more drills.

Then while while the sensei worked with some guys who aren't in bogu, one of the senpai and I did some ji-geiko (well, he called it shiai, but I'm pretty sure that he meant ji-geiko).

That made everything make a whole lot more sense. It is one thing to be told that these drills have a purpose, and to be told what that purpose is, but it is a horse of an entirely different color to experience the purpose of the drills.

Yeah, I got hit a lot, and most of my strikes didn't connect or missed (mainly men, with some kote), but hey first day, it's practice, I'll get better. Six months ago I was still having trouble holding a shinai (and don't ask about footwork, you don't want to know, it was ugly, very very ugly), now I don't. I have problems now, but I'll improve, and I'll enjoy the process.

The one thing I did notice, is that with the men on, I'm having troubel with maai. I suppose it will just take practice. I hesistate to say that it is almost like my maai has shortened, or maybe it's merely my perception, and I'm only thinking I have to be closer. Well, I shall just continue to work at it.

The one thing I did notice, is that with the men on, I'm having troubel with maai. I suppose it will just take practice. I hesistate to say that it is almost like my maai has shortened, or maybe it's merely my perception, and I'm only thinking I have to be closer. Well, I shall just continue to work at it.
    That happened to me for the first weeks. I think it was because I did shorter fumikomi.

Comment

good to hear that you are having fun with the bogu. i agree that it's a whole new experience, which is a lot of fun. i used to be like that during my first days in bogu but give it a week or two and you'll be fine with it. another thing, don't wave your shinai too much. have it still so that you'll have a strong centre or something like that.

~taganahan

Comment

don't wave your shinai too much. have it still so that you'll have a strong centre or something like that.
        that's very important, dont try to act like an all-japan champion. Shinai "tickling", feinting, letting go of one hand and using gedan are useful but not a good thing to do when you are starting.

Comment

well...had my first day in bogu today, after only a couple of months of kendo, since july. well here's my report

definitely way different than practice without bogu, hearing greatly limited, vision greatly limited

while one of our 2 sensei's was working with the group of beginners we had join us today i got to be a practice dummy for the rest of the class so i can get used to being hit and not flinching. first thing i decided is that i'm going to shell out the money to get a men pad...it's SOOOO worth it

after getting smacked around by the rest of the class for about 15-20 minutes the other sensei told me to get up and get ready to spar, it was an interesting match...i learned much...the hard way...

by the end of practice i sat to catch my breath and thought...wow...that was impressively fun, i can't wait til next week when we meet next, man i wish our kendo club met more than once a week

Comment

Originally posted by amanharan
            well...had my first day in bogu today, after only a couple of months of kendo, since july. well here's my report

definitely way different than practice without bogu, hearing greatly limited, vision greatly limited

while one of our 2 sensei's was working with the group of beginners we had join us today i got to be a practice dummy for the rest of the class so i can get used to being hit and not flinching. first thing i decided is that i'm going to shell out the money to get a men pad...it's SOOOO worth it

after getting smacked around by the rest of the class for about 15-20 minutes the other sensei told me to get up and get ready to spar, it was an interesting match...i learned much...the hard way...

by the end of practice i sat to catch my breath and thought...wow...that was impressively fun, i can't wait til next week when we meet next, man i wish our kendo club met more than once a week
            Wait a second...2 months? Wow, you must be really good. Either that or your sensei must be messed up in the head (just kidding of course. Im not that mean am I? )

Comment

Originally posted by amanharan
              first thing i decided is that i'm going to shell out the money to get a men pad...it's SOOOO worth it
              Yeah, men pad is Kendoka best friend

Comment

Originally posted by Ishii
                Yeah, men pad is Kendoka best friend
                I have to agree since getting a men pad my sinus pain has gone away.

Comment

I have just been put in bogu as well, and was flinching a little the first time at being hit (especially since the club bogu set I was using is a bit too big for me so the men doesn't fit exactly right and it hurt after a while). In a very thoughtful gesture, one of the other bogu members slipped half a mouse pad into the top of my men a few weeks ago. It absorbs all of the shock so that it is not painful at all. Hurray!

Comment

Working...
                  X