Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time does your sensei give to seiza meditation in each training session

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time does your sensei give to seiza meditation in each training session

At the dojo our teacher would make us meditate sometimes for 5 minutes some other times for 25 to 30 minutes which was pretty painfull for us people who don t use that sitting posture in our everyday life, on the other hand facing pain is part of spiritual discipline i guess.

Originally posted by Hisham
    At the dojo our teacher would make us meditate sometimes for 5 minutes some other times for 25 to 30 minutes which was pretty painfull for us people who don t use that sitting posture in our everyday life, on the other hand facing pain is part of spiritual discipline i guess.
    My dojo has several sensei, and each do makuso for different amounts of time. But since there are people who aren't able to sit in seiza for extended amounts of time, they generally keep it about 2-3 minutes. Enough time for two to three long deep breaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Chan
      about 2-3 minutes. Enough time for two to three long deep breaths.
      I don't really know but it feels like 20-30 seconds..
      (and that is about two to three long deep breaths for me..)

Comment

Originally posted by Hisham
        As far as mokuso specifically, usually around 30-45 seconds. But as far as seiza in general, it depends. Usually a few minutes, depending on how many senseis happen to be at practice to tlk to us. A couple of times, we've had to sit in seiza for about 25 minutes when we watched the senseis spar.

Comment

Working...
        X