Personal JODAN TRAINING - please guide me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal JODAN TRAINING - please guide me

Please comment and help me elevate my jodan katate me. So far, I was informed that my maai is too close. LOL

​​​​​

Dear admin. Please delete this post. Already made one

Comment

I do not practice jodan but here are my observations for what they are worth and without knowing your grade or circumstances:

1) When going down into sankyo, keep your back straight. Don't let your shoulders bob forwards and back. This requires engaging you kahanshin (lower body) more, which is generally a goal anyway.

2) It appears your shinai is striking at a point behind the nakayui. That means the strike is too deep and maai is too close. The principle advantage of a katate menuchi is reach so you should strike from further away so that the shinai strikes between the kissaki and nakayui.

EDIT: Oh wait, seems you were told already but didn't mention that in your rendundant post, which I read first.
      Last edited by dillon; 27th December 2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

These are gold dillon san. Appreciate the feedback. I got your pointers and will adjust within the week. I'll post my videos here for you to see if there are any progress

- Paul Minoza

Comment

Just looking at the video again during coffee break...

3) Employ "sayabiki". This is an iaido term referring to how in a katate waza, the non-sword-holding arm pulls the saya back. This movement serves as a counter movement to the cut made by the weapon-holding-arm and adds power and sharpness by having the cut focused around the hara. Think of a counter-weight on a trebuchet. In every budo I practice (kendo, iaido, jodo), katate waza feature this sayabiki type action. In kendo, the right fist should pull to the hip just as the shinai lands. Some jodan players pull to the belly button... which in kendo helps guard against doh although it is a bit naughty to block.

4) It looks like the back foot isn't always pointing forward. Maybe watch out for that.

Comment

How's your Jodan training going?

Comment

How's your Jodan Training going?

Comment

Shift weight more on the left foot and take smaller steps when closing in. Grip the shinai firmly with your left hand at all times and right hand just lightly supports it. Make sure that kensen takes the shortest route, don't let it dip down while striking. Also after the strike, flex your elbow just a little bit instead of holding it straight. Relaxing it is easier for the elbow joint.
                And most importantly, NEVER back down when taking jodan, always step forward with the left foot.

Comment

* Keep more distance. Jodan you should be very stingy closing the distance. A more open distance gives you advantage.
                  * When you stand up from sonkyo go to jodan by advancing your left foot not by retracting your right.
                  * Your coordination between the right hand getting to your body should match the strike timing and left foot fumikomi... it looks like it's late. Although this is not what you should do physically _thinking_ about that as if you right hand is throwing the shinai as your left hand strikes helps with that timing ...again don't physically do it that much.
                  * Your jodan position seems not so uhm...big?!? You position should look calmly dominant. You need to stand taller (straighter back, neck) and make a bit of space between your arms and your head. Hellps to play with your kamae in front of a mirror until you see something you really like.

Comment

One other observation... Just before you strike you pull your left hand back, as if you are swinging back. One of the points of jodan is that your shinai is already positioned for the cut. If you feel you need to place your left hand higher before strking either practice not doing that (striking from your kamae) or maybe start with your hands already in the position you pulled back to.

After your strike your body rotates to the right. The feeling of striking should be that after your strike completes you get squared up.

Now this may be due to you just starting(?) jodan. Your step in looks a lot like it's just extending the left foot forward rather than driving off the right foot. This may also be why you feel more comfortable striking from closer.

Comment

Working...
                    X