No announcement yet.

Changing technique due to tennis elbow.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing technique due to tennis elbow.

Hello all

My first post on here for a long time.

I have been struggling with tennis elbow for some time, which is really affecting my practice. Not really looking for treatment advice, I'm already doing lots to treat it.

As I'm sure you know, with an injury like this a change in technique is often needed. My first thought on this is that I'm over extending my right arm.

My question is, has anyone on here gone through this and what advice have you been given? Also what you did to change your technique to correct the issue?

Many thanks

I had tennis elbow terribly a few years ago. Kendo exacerbated it, but in the end, you know what cleared it up? Like, in a matter of days, was pretty simple -

I changed the kind of mouse I use with my computer. I know it sounds like snake oil, but I got one of those ergonomic mice that instead of your forcing your hand flat horizontally, it changes your grip to a vertical one. The mouse looks like some old timey video game joystick thingy, but my god, it worked.

I didn't change anything I did in Kendo and I was doing flex exercises using that physical therapy rubber rod thing that people have mentioned on this forum, but ultimately, a different mouse cleared the whole thing up.

If you don't use a computer for work, then this is wasted advice really, but if you do, well, you should look into it.

Comment

Yes I do work with computers, it's gotten to the point where I've started using the mouse with my other hand. I have been using the flexbar for a while but it isn't making a significant improvement.
      Was on a Kendo trip in Barcelona at the weekend and a few pointed out that I may be over extending my right arm.

Need to watch some vids of myself

Comment

The advice we have been getting lately from several hanshi visiting us (Hayashi-sensei and Ueno-sensei) is that the old style of extending the right arm as straight as possible during the strike is no longer recommended. Instead, they advise keeping slightly bent elbows, partially to reduce the risk of repetitive stress injuries such as tennis elbow, but also to be able to cut more sharply.

This is a hard habit to break, but we have been trying. Meanwhile we have changed the way we instruct beginners to ingrain this better method from the start.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Neil and thanks for this great advice.

Like you say this will be a very hard habit to break after doing it so many years. But like yourself I'm going to have to try.

Comment

Seriously, try that ergonomic mouse

Comment

As CAD work means keeping one hand one the mouse continuously for long periods, the ergonomic mouse is very interesting. There seems to be ones that look like a regular mouse turned on the side so a bit less conspicuous looking than the joystick shape.

Going on a tangent, I was taught by my first kendo sensei to keep a very slight bend in the elbow when I first started almost 10 years ago. Then later in Japan my second sensei showed an extended arm with elbows locked. My own judgement favors slight bend so I kind of ignored this as he wasn't making a huge deal out of it. Both of these sensei are students of the same hanshi 8dan (making me the mago-deshi of this hanshi 8dan through 2 lines) so it makes me wonder where the differences come from. In iaido it's not explicitly pointed out but I do not see locking elbows on correctly executed cuts.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have been working on trying to keep a slight bend and it seems to be helping a little. Plus by keeping the slight bend my actual cuts have certainly improved.

Comment

Working...
                X