My thoughts on Ji-geiko

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on Ji-geiko

I don’t know how much longer this forum is going to last, so I might as well go all in…this will probably be it for me, one last post before I ride off into the sunset like everyone else.

There are several purposes for ji-geiko, what these purposes are depends on you. For serious tournament players, it serves as practice for shiai and grading’s, this as you know is true for most everyone in kendo with the difference being the serious kenshi practices kendo daily and their keiko being more intense.

However, if your goal is not to become a big tournament player on kendo’s biggest stage, that’s okay too, but your approach and focus in ji-geiko should be the same. I think of ji-geiko being like a pop quiz and shiai as a test. Shinsa on the other hand is a test, not a different test from shiai, but the same exact test. Some people get this and some people don’t.

If your approach to shinsa is different from your approach to shiai, then you need more study…no offense. You really need to focus more on the basics when you keiko, this means to work on your kamae, it must be naturally balanced throughout, pay close attention to your mechanics when you suburi and kiri-kaeshi. Make your movements feel natural and not forced. Learn how to strike from the tanden in waza keiko and then refine your mechanics in kakari-keiko.

Remember, swinging the shinai from the hands and arms from a static kamae position in time with your feet is not ki-ken-tai-ichi, its stick swinging. It’s a beginner’s simulation of KKTI. The mind cannot fully connect with the body by doing that; hence your ability to utilize and execute waza becomes limited. You start thinking and doing weird stuff instead of executing waza that you’re taught…that’s how you get hurt.

The point I’m making is this, you go to practice for a reason, maybe it’s mostly for fun and exercise, but you still go to practice to improve your kendo, which in my eyes makes you a serious practitioner. That’s why your sensei’s there, to help you become the best you can be, but you also need to put the time in away from the dojo when you can because your sensei can’t be there for you 24/7…even if it’s only for half hour or less. Your sensei can only do so much for you, he’s there to put you on the right path and it’s your job to follow his instructions to your best abilities.

Well, I guess that’s it…I just want to say that everything I ever posted here is from the heart and to be honest very therapeutic for me, I’m not an expert but it’s all based on my own experience in kendo, I wasn’t just talking out of my a$$...

Anyway, good luck to you all and have a fun 2018!

Good luck to you too. Drop by here every once in a while.

Comment

Working...
    X