Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keno Physique

Hi there,

appologies if this has already been covered in some other thred but i can seem to search properly.....

I am new to the world of kendo (Hail from an iaido/karate/ninjustsu background) and i was wondering what people think of the "kendo physique".

I have spoke to a few of my friends at work (I work for a Japanese company) who hail form japan and they say it is a big thing to temper the body and have a good physique for doing kendo. being a westerner and having a larger build (used to do olympic weightlifting for a while until i picked up an injury) this got me thinking....

now i understand that being lighter allows someone to be more agile but surely being stronger can also play a big part in kendo?

i was just wondering what people thought about this? is there a right or wrong answer or is it something that depends on level / experiance etc?

also what do people do for this physique? if you go for agility do you do speed ladders and hops? if you go for strength do you follow a particular program?

just curious as to what people think.

thanks for any advice or discussion offered!

There's never anything wrong with general fitness. For Kendo or just for its own sake.
    For me I cycle and get in the weight room, and in the dojo. Endurance for Cycling, e.g. doesn't translate 100% to kendo endurance.
    My strength routine is nothing special or dramatic.
    Don't forget flexibility training.
    Agility - kakari-geiko. As kendo agility requires balance and perception.

Comment

I wish I had pertinent advice to give… as it stands, my interests in muscle training have changed pretty much every year since I started training. For instance, last few months I've been training my forearms.

That said, particularly for a beginner, more physical strength is not necessarily better. If anything, over-reliance on physical strength will be an active obstacle to learning correct form. Good technique will always beat physical strength, although (of course) having both is the ideal.

For those reasons, I'd like to ask you: How much experience do you have so far?

Comment

Wait, I got it! Bear with me...

Barefoot running. (or at least with very thin soles, 3mm-4mm.)

Apart from the general endurance (always a plus) you'll get strong calf muscles, which will help your footwork. If there's something I can propose without reservation, it's that.

Comment

Working...
        X