X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kata only?

Are there any members here who only practise Kata?

Due to heart surgery I am now unable to continue with Kendo or any contact sport in the future.

However in theory I would be able to do Kata but do you think it would be too frustrating seeing others in shiai.

Does anybody else have experience of practicing kata only?

Try iai. A lot more involved than kendo kata, but in a similar spirit. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Comment

While I was studying abroad, I took two kendo classes; one of them was kata only. If you enjoy kata, there's a lot to be gained from doing them. I guess the basic question is whether you like doing kata or whether you will just miss the contact part of kendo too much.

Comment

At present I am in Herts.

Comment

Have a look at the two Herts dojo here:

http://www.kendo.org.uk/dojo/england_se.shtml

Both Chris Buxton and Greg Drewe are excellent teachers. Go visit a lesson and see if it blows your hakama up...

Comment

Just a thought, but perhaps you should maybe look into iaido. It doesn't involve any contact and it is "practically kata".

Tim

Comment

Tim, those are iaido dojo...

Comment

Oh ok.. I digress..

Tim

Comment

I have had heart surgey myself...

I have had heart surgery myself (valve replacement and pacemaker) and am still able to practice pretty vigorously. (More of a long term endurance issue rather than short term vigour, which probably has a lot to do with inefficient movement and poor technique. Some days are a lot better than others ) My doctors are pretty cool with it as a) I am wearing armour and b) it is very cardio intensive and good for the heart. It is the rest of my body that seems to be out of condition at times If you don;t mind me asking, what sort of surgery have you had, and have your doctors specifically said you can't do kendo? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post more details in a public forum. Good luck.
                  I agree on the iai part if you can't do kendo. I started iai as part of my rehab until my docs okayed me resuming kendo practice. I still practice it as well as going to kendo.
                  Once again, good luck and all the best!

Dan Weber

Comment

Working...
                  X