X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bunny hop.

back about 10 yrs ago, when i was going to different dojo they used to do this bunny hop along with block and do strike. does anyone know what is called? i need to do something to help my 'explosiveness', and that seems like very good way to get it.

it goes like this.. you squat down with shiani in chudan, than you do a bunny hop, and go into block, then bunny hop and do do cut to the right than block then left do cut.. and so on.. every move in shinai is done at the same time as bunny hop..

i heard it's not all that good for folks with knee problem.

pete

It's just men-kaeshi-doh from sonkyo, not sure if there's a name for the drill. I used to think it was bad for the knees, but there's a ton of guys out there doing hindu squats and they seem OK (hindu squat is basically into and out of sonkyo with an arm swing).

If you really want to build explosive power, try real squats (heels on the ground, knees not past the toes, back straight, ass to grass) with a light enough weight that you can explode out of the hole. Another good one is snatches or hanging cleans. Any of these can be done with barbell or dumbell.

Comment

Oh oooooh!

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
      It's just men-kaeshi-doh from sonkyo, not sure if there's a name for the drill. I used to think it was bad for the knees, but there's a ton of guys out there doing hindu squats and they seem OK (hindu squat is basically into and out of sonkyo with an arm swing).

If you really want to build explosive power, try real squats (heels on the ground, knees not past the toes, back straight, ass to grass) with a light enough weight that you can explode out of the hole. Another good one is snatches or hanging cleans. Any of these can be done with barbell or dumbell.
      We used to have an excercise where the opponent gave a men you squatted(sonkyo), blocked (kaeshi) and gave a do (hidari and migi). In another variation the opponent leaped/stepped back and with your right foot you jumped forward to hit the do but kept your left foot in place(lunge?). I don't know what it was called but it either killed you or you became quite agile and fast.
      I do get tired by only reading your post with the different ways to torture people with just the body and in your case a dumbell.

Comment

movement

Originally posted by bullet08
        back about 10 yrs ago, when i was going to different dojo they used to do this bunny hop along with block and do strike. does anyone know what is called? i need to do something to help my 'explosiveness', and that seems like very good way to get it.

it goes like this.. you squat down with shiani in chudan, than you do a bunny hop, and go into block, then bunny hop and do do cut to the right than block then left do cut.. and so on.. every move in shinai is done at the same time as bunny hop..

i heard it's not all that good for folks with knee problem.

pete
        when you do that drill, do you stay in one place or you move forward and back or side to side as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Fonsz
          We used to have an excercise where the opponent gave a men you squatted(sonkyo), blocked (kaeshi) and gave a do (hidari and migi).
          Yes, that's the one I'm describing. We still do it, but from standing. We also used to hop back and forth across the dojo in sonkyo, a real thigh-killer.
          In another variation the opponent leaped/stepped back and with your right foot you jumped forward to hit the do but kept your left foot in place(lunge?). I don't know what it was called but it either killed you or you became quite agile and fast.
          I'm having trouble picturing that one.

Comment

Originally posted by koteslasher
            when you do that drill, do you stay in one place or you move forward and back or side to side as well?
            it's been awhile.. i don't clearly remember the drill, but i think we moved from side to side.. for right do, we hop over to left, for left do, we hop over to right.. for block we go back to the center..

pete

Comment

kicks

it's been awhile.. i don't clearly remember the drill, but i think we moved from side to side.. for right do, we hop over to left, for left do, we hop over to right.. for block we go back to the center..

pete
              I see...because in another discipline, bunny hop was used as drill to develop leg muscles for kicking techniques and balance. But I dont know how it relates in kendo...what does the senseis in this forum thinks?

Comment

Ah well.

Originally posted by me
                In another variation the opponent leaped/stepped back and with your right foot you jumped forward to hit the do but kept your left foot in place(lunge?). I don't know what it was called but it either killed you or you became quite agile and fast.
                Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                I'm having trouble picturing that one.
                Motodachi strikes Men, shidachi goes to sonkyo and blocks, motodachi steps back, shidachi follows him by stepping forward whilst staying low and keeping the left foot stationary, like in a long step, and hits do. The trouble was you are propelling yourself forward out of an awkward position but you had to keep you upper body straight or otherwise the momentum of the forward movement was gone. I hope I'm clear now because I rather would not demonstrate this.
                Last edited by Fonsz; 15th February 2006, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Don't mention please shhhh!

Originally posted by koteslasher
                  I see...because in another discipline, bunny hop was used as drill to develop leg muscles for kicking techniques and balance. But I dont know how it relates in kendo...what does the senseis in this forum thinks?
                  They think "aha another trick for the arsenal to make life miserable during the practice!" So please refrain from asking, it might get give them some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fonsz
                    They think "aha another trick for the arsenal to make life miserable during the practice!" So please refrain from asking, it might get give them some ideas.
                    actually bunny hop has always been a way to make life miserable for every grades in korean public school when i was growing up. oh.. another good one.. duck walk.. or something like that in translation.. squat and move forward with hands on the head..

pete

Comment

actually bunny hop has always been a way to make life miserable for every grades in korean public school when i was growing up. oh.. another good one.. duck walk.. or something like that in translation.. squat and move forward with hands on the head..

pete
                      Oh lord, not the duck walk. For "special practices" sensei will make us duck walk across the dojo. That and bunny hop suburi across the dojo is one of the most painful things I've done.

Comment

I hate duck walk!!! At least with bunny hop you get to hit. I have really long legs and could not get airborn in bunny hop but it was good balance training and good defense for olden days when sonkyo was closer together and you could attack at hajime.

Comment

I did the bunny hop a few years back. I couldn't walk for a week after that.

Comment

We do the "Hindu squats" at my dojo as Gendzwill sensei mentioned. We call them suimonogiri I'm sure I just slaughtered the spelling on that, it's pronounced sue-e-mono-gear-e. My sempai liked to have us do around 100 of them and laugh at the end when he told us to hold the last squat..... good times.

Comment

My sensei told me that that sonkyo-bunnyhopping-suburi was punishment for not getting your bogu on in time when he practiced in japan. What a bummer.

Comment

Working...
                              X