X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jodan question

I tried my hand at jodan in class last night, and i had a question to ask. If you are using jodan for pretty much the whole fight, but at one point, you go into chudan and get a cut, will you get the point? Are the judges not going to give it to you if it wasnt from jodan?

Originally posted by NigelSponge View Post
    I tried my hand at jodan in class last night, and i had a question to ask. If you are using jodan for pretty much the whole fight, but at one point, you go into chudan and get a cut, will you get the point? Are the judges not going to give it to you if it wasnt from jodan?
    They'll give you the point, as long as its a point. You can switch from Jodan to Chudan whenever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed61086 View Post
      You can switch from Jodan to Chudan whenever you want.
      Well, yes and no. There are no official rules that prohibit switching back and forth between chudan and jodan, but there are a number of unwritten customs regarding this.

Generally speaking, once you go into jodan, you stay in jodan. (Think of it as the Vegas principle -- what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.) Going from jodan back down into chudan signals that you've either a) run out of steam, or b) run out of spirit. (BTW, there's a difference between going back and forth from chudan to jodan and using morote waza from jodan, or during a brief transition through chudan.) In shiai, don't go into jodan immediately after you lose a point in chudan. It's generally regarded as a desperation move.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
        Well, yes and no. There are no official rules that prohibit switching back and forth between chudan and jodan, but there are a number of unwritten customs regarding this.

Generally speaking, once you go into jodan, you stay in jodan. (Think of it as the Vegas principle -- what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.) Going from jodan back down into chudan signals that you've either a) run out of steam, or b) run out of spirit. (BTW, there's a difference between going back and forth from chudan to jodan and using morote waza from jodan, or during a brief transition through chudan.) In shiai, don't go into jodan immediately after you lose a point in chudan. It's generally regarded as a desperation move.
        I totally agree. I am guilty of one of those .

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post

Yeah - we actually had a discussion about this at my dojo last practice. From what I heard, you CAN shift back into Chudan during the fight, but doing so only out of a realization that Jodan is ineffective towards your opponent. Even still, this acknowledgment must be one soundly made - not out of failure, but out of control over the situation.

Can't go wrong with chudan.

Comment

totally agree with halcyon n` kichigai, i practice some jodan y usually shift when im doing keiko with my friends in a private practice (somethimes in the hall of the koryu kaikan.. hahaha) just because im still weak to play all time jodan... but always try to just be in one kamae.

Comment

Working...
            X