X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kirikaeshi variation

How many variation of kirikaeshi do you practice.
    We do normal kirikaeshi, do kirikaeshi, men men do do kirikaeshi and recently I learned gohon kirikaeshi.

There are two variations at my Dojo.
    One is the correct way.......and the other is the lame-ass "all over the map" way I seem to do it.

But seriously...
    There are other kinds???

Comment

ya, I've also done this hoppy kirikaeshi while I was in Japan, where you crouch like a frog and hop as you hit sayu do.

Comment

Ariga-sensei has us practice regular sayumen kirikaeshi 5 times, then we go on to men-uchi. Tokune-sensei has us practice regular sayument kirikaeshi 5 times, then go on to at least 2 rounds of do kirikaeshi and then on to men-uchi.

I don't believe one method is better than another, but gives us an opportunity to practice variations on a theme.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdeau View Post
          How many variation of kirikaeshi do you practice.
          We do normal kirikaeshi, do kirikaeshi, men men do do kirikaeshi and recently I learned gohon kirikaeshi.
          I'm not familiar with gohon kirikaeshi...can you please elaborate?

At my dojo, we just perform regular sayu-men kirikaeshi, except we run two speeds:

Slow: Perform men-uchi and tai-atari like normal, but pause after each sayu-men to encourage proper kime and establish ma-ai; motodachi does not block the sayu-men so that each kenshi uses the proper hasuji.

Fast: Kirikaeshi performed at 'normal' speed with motodachi blocking each sayu-men.

I've done do kirikaeshi and men-men-do-do kirikaeshi, but mostly with my sempai during ato-geiko.

Comment

Hachikyu kirikaeshi. Eight cuts forward, nine cuts back. Rinse and repeat.

b

Comment

Ive practiced regular kirikaeshi, repeating once or twice the 10 cuts before the final men, do kirikaeshi same as above, and we practice shoyaku kirikaeshi sometimes too, it helps a lot to fix kikentai icchi and speed. our regular practice is with regular kirikaeshi with a total of 20 cuts plus the final 1 or 2 men... and oi-komi kirikaeshi.

Comment

It would be nice to have a kind of..."summary" of "available" kirkaeshi?

We do regular kirkaeshi and "do kirikaeshi".

Comment

We sometime do kiri-kaeshi by using tsuki for the opening attack, and then proceeding to do or men cuts for the sayu cuts.

Comment

We do it standing on our heads.

That was just a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by kartoffelngeist View Post
                      We do it standing on our heads.

That was just a lie.
                      How would you know, skiving training an all?

Comment

we usually do regular kirikaeshi. on occassion we do dou kirikaeshi. but our sensei loves kirikaeshi and before we put on men we do several rotations of 50 kirikaeshi and then finish with 100 kirikaeshi. his goal he said once was to work us up to 500! i hope it was the beer talking.

Comment

We do fast and slow, too, depending on your experience (some folks should just stick to slow, it's very good for you) and the only other thing I have ever done is ladders, which are killer. Instead of standard two sets of 4 forward/5 back you do two sets, then rotate, three sets, then rotate four - up to five sets or however many sensei wants you to do. When we've done them, they were done fast, to encourage killing the arms. One sensei in particular likes to do this and afterwards grins and says, "Okay, now we can practice!"

Comment

50/100 kirikaeshi - you mean total strokes or sets or what?!

Comment

another

A variation we do as a body/spirit builder is extended kiri kaeshi.

Works the same way as normal but you do as many cuts as you can in the space of the hall. The person cutting decides when to go back again so that the reciever does not smash thier back into the wall. Try and do as many cuts in one breath as possible

Good for awareness. (a little bad for Zanshin as you concentration is a bit away from your reciever near the end of the hall)

Especially hard if we practice in the 5 a side football hall... maybe 30 or so cuts there and 30 or so cuts back... do it tice twice then change to next partner.. repeat..

easier in the small badminton hall.. maybe only 10-15 cuts

Comment

Working...
                              X