Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waki-gamae

What do you think of this Kamae?
    Do ever you do it?

I understand that this can be used against Jodan.

Thoughts?

I've used it in kendo kata yohonme.

Comment

Ok..let me refine that question.
      Have you ever used it in Shiai.

If yes,
      Why?
      If no, Why not?

Comment

This is why not.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B3OsmzCLLg0

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
          OWWW!

Thank you for that.
          That is definitely something to consider, isn't it?

However, I fully understand that it is generally considered an advanced kamae, which it appears that the player in the video wasn't a very high grade.

At least I hope not.

In shiai I've seen pretty much all the kamae employed, but never Gedan.
          I know it's generally also only for kata,

But if it's a valid kamae, and it's part of Kendo, why is it never used?
          Too difficult?

Comment

I look forward to some of the answers to your questions Kenzan.

Halcyon - *sigh* that vid never gets old. +rep

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
              I meant Waki-Gamae..I've seen Gedan.

Comment

But if it's a valid kamae, and it's part of Kendo, why is it never used?
                Too difficult?
                I've often wondered the same thing. I have thought that perhaps they are vestiges of an era when swordplay took place under a wider variety of circumstances than we experience today. Perhaps it is also the case that the limited number of valid targets in Kendo, as well as increased stylization of play, renders some postures less viable.

Comment

Waki no Kamae... hiding your sword, to conceal its length; maybe yours is longer / shorter / broken and you don't want your opponent to know.

A good cut from waki kamae is kesa giri, frowned upon in shinai kendo! I don't think anyone would be too chuffed getting a shinai belted across the thighs. Waki kamae and Hasso no kamae, from what my teacher said, are "street fighter" kamae i.e. real sword stuff, there is a blade, you will die kind of stuff. Hasso and waki (both off to one side) lack the straightness shinai kendo tends to be about, no? Hasso and waki both good for kesa giri, why in yonhonme there is a stalemate between the two so they both kind of "back down" with a straight men.

Also, it just screams "Tsuki me!". One of the newer guys here went into waki no kamae, i don't often get such a good chance to practice tsuki, so i did, and it was nice. Felt like a prick for doing it like but quickly ran up to him to add "That's one reason why we don't do waki no kamae in shinai kendo"...

Just my 2 bits, which are woth 0.002p by today's exchange rate.

Comment

I was told that waki-kamae was originally used when you have to fight while running through trees. Dunno how true that is though.

And that video was HILARIOUS! Poor kid got humble pie shoved up his wahoo.

Comment

Obviously you haven't seen enough kamae..

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi View Post
                        Obviously you haven't seen enough kamae..

I meant Waki-Gamae..I've seen Gedan.

Comment

Ok..let me refine that question.
                          Have you ever used it in Shiai.

If yes,
                          Why?
                          If no, Why not?
                          Pretty simple. Try it friday, and I will show you the "why not". We can both have fun at the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by MAZ77 View Post
                            Pretty simple. Try it friday, and I will show you the "why not". We can both have fun at the same time!
                            Nothin' doin.
                            I've seen your idea of fun, and it always ends up with me flying through something.

Comment

the main advantage of waki from what i understand is to hide the length of your sword... not a huge advantage in kendo if you ask me... but it is also my favorite (looking) kamae... you look so vulnerable but yet you are actually quite ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X