X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathhing in kendo

I recently saw a documentary on the history channel about mounted archers who had to shoot 3 talismans of some sort, anyway my point is that I know that breathing is important before and during the shoot.

So those this apply to kendo? and if so, what is the proper way to breathe?

that's sort of the point of kiai and stuff...

Comment

My Sensei said,
      Just do Kiriki-aeshi ten thousand times and you know how to breath in Kendo

Comment

Originally posted by delphideo
        I recently saw a documentary on the history channel about mounted archers who had to shoot 3 talismans of some sort, anyway my point is that I know that breathing is important before and during the shoot.

So those this apply to kendo? and if so, what is the proper way to breathe?
        My understanding is that you would inhale before the cut and exhale as you squeeze through the cut. That's what I was taught in Iaido, I'd imagine it's similar in kendo.

When you breathe properly, you're less likely to be "out of breath" (gasping for air).

Comment

Originally posted by Valiant
          ...When you breathe properly, you're less likely to be "out of breath" (gasping for air).
          In kendo, if your sensei runs practice like a slave master, everyone should be gasping for air. If you aren't, then the practice was too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Valiant
            When you breathe properly, you're less likely to be "out of breath" (gasping for air).
            I concur with this completely. Although I'm probably not the fittest person in the world, I do manage to pass the annual fitness test that I am required to take at work without too many problems, so I assume that I'm not that unfit either. However, I was finding that a short bout of keiko would leave me gasping for breath. Specifically, I'd be fine until we stopped and suddenly I would realise that I was completely out of breath. One of the seniors kindly pointed out to me that the reason for this was that I was so tense all the time, and hence wasn't breathing properly. His advice was to make a concious effort to relax (remaining alert of course) while in kamae, and then make another concious decision to relax immediately after the strike and zanshin. This bit of advice has had a dramatic effect. I run out of breath eventually, but it takes a lot longer for me to get that far.

Comment

In my experience proper breathing is one the most difficult things to learn in kendo. from what I've been told its about getting the most from the least, (still don't completly understand this). thought I guess with practice it will come.

Comment

In gung fu we are taught to breathe in a way that channels natural chi. The whole emphases is breathing in from the diaphram, not sucking air through your mouth. You enhale with your chest, and expand outward, absorbing the enerfy. Its effective in all aspects of life, and works well in martial arts of any kind. also a great relaxation technique.

Comment

breathing is very important.......
                  for example: you should recognice when your enemy is taking a breath.....that's the moment when you should hit him......just one thing,
                  there are some more....like you can do kendo much longer with the right breathing......

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                    In kendo, if your sensei runs practice like a slave master, everyone should be gasping for air. If you aren't, then the practice was too easy.
                    I must be getting some good practive in then , my problem is that I almost run out of breath and almost suffocate myself!

Comment

I once saw a documentary about one of those crazy extreme divers, she could hold her breath for 6 minutes!!! now that would be handy...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphiel
                        you should recognice when your enemy is taking a breath.....that's the moment when you should hit him.........
                        Why?

I've never understood the fact that you are not supposed to breathe at the same time as striking....

and why is a person is considered weak when breathing??....

Surely if you are struggling for breath your body is craving oxygen and your muscles will build up lactic acid, therefore causing you to work less efficiently, with the knock-on effect of you to be weaker???

hmm??

Comment

Oh, you're supposed to breathe alright, but do it in such a way that the opponent (not enemy!), can't see it. Your reactions will be slower when breathing in.

Jakob

Comment

one of my friends told me to breathe through the nose, not the through your mouth. he said that you can control your breathing better when you're doing it with your nose. the other disadvantage of breathing through your mouth is, your throat gets dry and it hurts when you do your kiai. my sensei also told me that i should practice breathing less.

Comment

Originally posted by emitbrownne
                              and why is a person is considered weak when breathing??....
                              watch yourself when you lift something really heavy. i tend to make weird noises like arrr and uuhhh ^^ - i'm naturally exhaling when lifting it up. i can't tell you something about the physics though

Comment

Working...
                              X