X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency of New Waza

How frequently do most people here learn New Waza? That is a technique right? Besides the basic cuts, I've only been taught roughly 6.

I am a very beginner and we are shown new details or new concepts every now and then.

For example, when doing suburi, the teacher sometimes explains something new to us (like some new details in foot movement). During practice most of the time we are doing the basic stuff over and over again (kiri-kaeshi for example) and from time to time the teacher will show us some more details like timing of your attacks during kiri-kaeshi for example. I guess he does this, when he feels that we are a bit more familiar with the basic concept and adding some more details will not confuse us.

After all, I learned something new almost every class.

Kind regards

meow

Comment

I just had my third practice today and I learned quite a bit. I don't know if the "dancing" maneuvers are waza, but we do one where we go: forward, back, back forward right left left right. and the same diagonally. I did the hitting of the men then 9 hits switching between left and right side of men, foward and backwards, then doing it again. I don't really know all the names. We also did the left hand suburi, the suburi where both hads are at the base of the shinai, and several other ones with hopping maneuvers. I learned quite a bit, but I'm so focused on doing it I forget the names.

Comment

as you become more experienced, you just kinda develope your own kind of technique. it may look like the ones that have been described to you by senseis, books, and videos but it kinda "your own technique" cause you developed it by yourself or formulated.

~taganahan

Comment

The best way to learn a new waza is to steal it from a senpai!

Comment

Haha okay. I have learned from watching my sempai, definetly. Thanks for the information.

And we do that 8 directiosn thing aswell.

Comment

stealing wazas from sempais is the way to go. or just ask them about it and they'll show you.

Comment

stealing wazas from sempais is the way to go. or just ask them about it and they'll show you.
                You should take care that they are waza you can do. As much as I would like to learn sensei's renzoku katate men-taiatari hiki gyaku do/do I know this is not something I can do now (more katate suburi for me).

I just had my third practice today and I learned quite a bit. I don't know if the "dancing" maneuvers are waza, but we do one where we go: forward, back, back forward right left left right. and the same diagonally. I did the hitting of the men then 9 hits switching between left and right side of men, foward and backwards, then doing it again. I don't really know all the names. We also did the left hand suburi, the suburi where both hads are at the base of the shinai, and several other ones with hopping maneuvers. I learned quite a bit, but I'm so focused on doing it I forget the names.
                That's the infamous Dance Dance Revolution Waza. I remeber the first time that I tried to learn taisabaki. I fell down.
                Last edited by Lloromannic; 14th September 2004, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X