Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is one handed style allowed? (片手りゅうもいい?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is one handed style allowed? (片手りゅうもいい?)

I am very interested in Kendo and there are Dojo's in my area but I just moved here and am working toward my second job so I don't think I have the money nor the time YET to join. I read the rules and a lot of materials related to Kendo but I haven't had this question answered.
    Can you fight (shiai) with one hand? Katate. Is any strike (Yuko Datotsu included) legal if you use only one hand?

-KotatsuSama

Yes it is,

Comment

Originally posted by KotatsuSama
      I am very interested in Kendo and there are Dojo's in my area but I just moved here and am working toward my second job so I don't think I have the money nor the time YET to join. I read the rules and a lot of materials related to Kendo but I haven't had this question answered.
      Can you fight (shiai) with one hand? Katate. Is any strike (Yuko Datotsu included) legal if you use only one hand?

-KotatsuSama
      Why refer to yourself as "sama"?

I think you can use katate-kamae if you have a legitimate physical reason.

Comment

I don't refer to myself as Sama...
        I refer to myself as KOTATSU-Sama!
        こたつに入った事がありますか?
        あったら、様と言うのはわかるね。
        Last edited by KotatsuSama; 16th August 2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

コタツってなんだよ

Comment

Originally posted by kendokamax
            コタツってなんだよ
            he believes himself to be an electrical implement designed to counter the meteorological effects of the winter months? "madder than mad jack mcmad who recently won the madman competition." [shamelessly ripped off from blackadder]

and yes, katate waza is allowed, but if you meant you want to hold the shinai in one hand, well, i guess that's allowed too. it would be, however, very strange indeed.

Comment

aah that thing,

I see- but you live in California?, do you really know the meaning of winter my friend?

However in canada no need of kotatsu,

Comment

However, I have lived in both California and in Kansas... It helps to have a Kotatsu in KANSAS winters... we're talking easily -20F and the houses there have really bad insulation.
                コタツは英語で「Heated Table」と言うんだよ。

Comment

Also, don't spend more than a year in Kansas if you are not white!

Because I was wondering. I have taken many different forms of martial arts and there is a verticle spin kick, I forgot the Korean term for it though and it probably isn't legal but I was curious if you could execute it whilst holding the shinai in the right hand and thrust your hind leg over and your torso twists then bring down the right hand for a men uchi.

-KotatsuSama
                  Last edited by KotatsuSama; 16th August 2004, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Because I was wondering. I have taken many different forms of martial arts and there is a verticle spin kick, I forgot the Korean term for it though and it probably isn't legal but I was curious if you could execute it whilst holding the shinai in the right hand and thrust your hind leg over and your torso twists then bring down the right hand for a men uchi.

-KotatsuSama

i recognize the words being english, but i'm still trying to figure out what it's trying to describe -_-;;

Comment

Originally posted by reg

i recognize the words being english, but i'm still trying to figure out what it's trying to describe -_-;;
                      he is describing a hernia.....or how to get one

cheers Michael

Comment

are you referring to a twirl?i think you're not allowed to do ballet during a kendo practice/keiko/shiai/etc.

~taganahan

Comment

If using one hand is legal, im not sure its reccomended, itd stick out like a sore thumb and i think it would look kind of goofy. My opinion. If what your trying to describe is some super complicated fancy move, you better know how to do it fast (and right) , or it will be wasted energy.

Comment

-KotatsuSama
                            Sounds like there is a place for the shinai in the Olympics after all - rhythmic gymnastics.

Comment

Olympics!
                              Did anyone see the stupid joke in the kendo jidai of this month? There is always that very lame cartoon at the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X