Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginning with ji-geiko

Hello,

Im starting in bogu with ji-geiko. As I am willing to progress and learn, I would like to know what is the best attitude to adopt in the beginning? What is the best thing to focus on? (kamae, distance, passing )

You'll probably see a variety of replies, but my 2 cents:
    1. Footwork
    2. Cut and go through. (regardless whether you hit the opponent or not!)

I can almost guarantee that regardless of what you do, you will be hit a lot and will be unable to hit people, so if you can try to maintain the basics throughout the ji-geiko, you are off to a better start than most

Jakob

Comment

Just try to do exactly what you were doing without bogu, while in bogu. Sounds simple like most kendo things...

Comment

http://www.kendo.org.uk/articles/jigeiko/01/index.shtml
        http://www.kendo.org.uk/articles/jigeiko/02/index.shtml

Try your best and don't give up!

Comment

Just don't expect to get any clean hits cause you might get dissappointed. Just like they have said above, just do what you have been doing before. As time goes on, things should piece together. I had my first Jigeiko last thursday. As much as I wanted to do the basics, it's kinda hard when you have used your energy on 2 rounds of Kakari-geiko...

Comment

Attack attack attack, don't allow yourself to get into a defensive blocking mentality, just go for it and commit yourself to each attack 100%. You will get hit, that's just the way it is so accept that. I find lots of bad habits creep in when I try to avoid being hit or try to defend myself. When I commit to the attack completely and don't care if I get hit or not, then it feels much better.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your usefull advices ! I will practice and i will survive !

Comment

Yessssss!

That's the spirit, you're halfway there.

Comment

I don't know how my comments below will be received by some, but don't be too hard on yourself and if you are about to faint and/or have a heart attack, let the sensei know and take a quick breather before jumping back in. (ask before you do, some senseis may frown upon taking your men off during practice)

Stamina will improve with more practice. Just try to push yourself a little more each practice and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Calcifer
                    Hello,

Im starting in bogu with ji-geiko. As I am willing to progress and learn, I would like to know what is the best attitude to adopt in the beginning? What is the best thing to focus on? (kamae, distance, passing )
                    Stay away form beginners for a little while, seek out your dojos senior people as thay'll give you good keiko and advice afterwards.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your usefull advices ! I will practice and i will survive !
                      Where are you practicing, Calcifer?

Comment

Hello Lucien,

I'm practicing kendo in Geneva...
                        and I survive !
                        I'm feeling better in gigeiko now.
                        But I'm still confused: Is it better to try "every thing" to cut and go througt or is it better to stay calm, if possible in the center, and try to do some "better" cuts...?

Comment

I will practice and i will survive !
                          Who let Gloria Gaynor into the dojo?

Cheers,

Matt.

Comment

There you go

Hello Lucien,

I'm practicing kendo in Geneva...
                            and I survive !
                            I'm feeling better in gigeiko now.
                            But I'm still confused: Is it better to try "every thing" to cut and go througt or is it better to stay calm, if possible in the center, and try to do some "better" cuts...?
                            Yes to both. You are at the start of a long way that's called Kendo, by choice I suppose. You should always try everything and try to stay calm. The two won't always match but if you keep this in mind enlightment will come......Maybe after twenty years but maybe in a year who knows.
                            Gambatte!

Comment

Is it better to try "every thing" to cut and go througt or is it better to stay calm, if possible in the center, and try to do some "better" cuts...?
                              Against Yannis? The best thing is to run away with your shinai over your head

Seriously, the best form of defence is always attack. If you're just starting then just attack and go through.

Comment

Working...
                              X