Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Nito) Rotating Renzoku Waza

Hi All,

I am currently working on my nito renzoku wazas, and would appreciate any comments anyone may have in relation to a new method to do nito renzoku wazas that I have just been shown.

Using nito nidan-waza as an example. I understand the conventional way of doing a daito only nidan-waza is to, for example, "strike kote-raise daito straight up-then strike men", in the same way as how a kote-men would be executed in itto. I have some success with this during uchikomi-geiko but have yet to add it to my arsenal for jigeiko.

After a recent nito practice I was shown a nidan waza by my nanadan nito sensei who demonstrated a different method of doing nito renzoku waza. The waza he demonstrated was a "men-men".

The waza started off with a missed shomen, but rather than stopping the daito after the miss and raising back up for a second strike, he deliberately allowed the kensen of the daito to go straight past the target and down by rotating his wrist and elbow inwards, with the kensen travelling almost a circle in the process, eventually bringing the daito back over the left shoulder for a second shomen (or yokomen). It was done with good speed and the second men landed solidly due to the force picked up during the rotation. I won't go into the footwork here because it's a little complicated. Everything else, such as tenouchi and zanshin, is the same as regular nito renzoku wazas.

In relation to the use of the shoto during the waza, he explained that the shoto may be used during the first men to disrupt the opponent's kensen, and then tucked underneath the daito for the second men.

After some reflection and practice, it seems that this method was intended to be used together with the conventional method of renzoku wazas (i.e. regular kote-men-rotating kote/men, etc), and may also be used in a number of different ways (i.e. men-rotating kote; kote-rotating men). I have also managed to pull off a variation involving using only the daito to do rotating harai-men once, but was only successful once after many attempts against a willing aite. But in any case this should only be used sparingly, as the rotation leaves the tsuki and the daito-kote open for the picking if the aite is expecting it.

However, I do believe it will be most difficult for shimpans to score the second hit landed using this method. Apart from the fact that nito hits must be extra clean to score in the first place due to current practices, ki-ken-tai-ichi will almost definitely be an issue when shimpans see such big rotating shinai movements during a match.

With the above being said, I can't help but feel that maybe my sensei is just showing me a "fun-waza"? (He occasionally show us fun wazas that are very fun to do/learn, but probably will not score in 99.9% of the time, because nito allows much more variations) After all, this method may seem, and does feel a little "jedi-like", with the twirling of daito and all. Another thing is that I have never seen him do this in jigeiko himself, but then again he never does any nidan wazas anyways.

My question to the sempais/senseis on this forum is, "would you give an ippon for a hit done using this method if it was accompanied by the appropriate zanshin and if the hit was clean?" I would also welcome any comments anyone may have.

Thank you.

Don't know about giving ippon without seeing it, but perhaps for point of reference, try to see some video of Shodai Kenji from the Kanagawa police. He does jodan, and does pretty much what you described using a 39 shinai for kote men. Try and watch that and see what you think for yourself, as the third party watching that.

Comment

Shodai Kenji is crazy! Love that jodan renzoku waza though.

Kanyi - we had shiai against Nittaidai who visited last weekend. Whilst there was nobody doing nito, I've seen their jodan players doing the twirl thingy (sorry if it sounded crude ) from jodan in the shiai - that confused some players thus causing suki to be made available to the jodan players. The Nittaidai shimpans have scored cuts executed via this technique - I trust them because they understand what a true ippon is.
      Last edited by Andoru; 18th March 2005, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Shodai is nuts!
        As for the errol flynn-waza, you'll need extremly good ki-ken-tai + zanshin to get it paid.
        I play with it every now and then, but I'd rather spend my time working on the standard cuts.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
        X