X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why alway chudan??

I just wonderd...why isn't anyone using other kamaes than chudan in battle...it would perhaps be a shock for the other kendoka if you would just start to use ....hh..lets say yo no kamae( = waki )...this would catch many kendokas by suprise wouldn't it...and this might help to score a point.....

to you're infomation: I haven't jet have a battle in a championc.....

The idea of waki is to hide your sword so that your opponent won't know how long it is and have problems finding the correct ma-ai. You lure him in so you can strike when he thinks he is at a safe distance. Shinai are subjects to standards of lenght so the whole point of hiding your sword dissapperes. People do use other kamae for example jodan sometimes and in some rare occations gedan.

Comment

Chudan is a nice balanced position to be in. Comfortable for both attack and defense. Jodan becomes very aggressive and creates lots of opennings, unless you have the experience with it to keep you opponent at bay.

The idea for most people is to use chudan until they master the basics, which takes a long time, and then if they feel like it later they move on to other kamae. Of course, lots of people who get good like to stick with chudan anyway and that is why you see it most of the time.

Comment

There's a thread somewhere here about a kendoka who assumed wakigamae, his opponent just did a quick shomen. He stopped doing wakigamae.

Comment

Jodan

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Jodan?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander
            What are the advantages and disadvantages of Jodan?
            Quick cut. As you only need to do one movement. Compared to chudan where you need 2 movement, bring up, cut down.

Disadvantages is you're opened up for attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Berugijin
              There's a thread somewhere here about a kendoka who assumed wakigamae, his opponent just did a quick shomen. He stopped doing wakigamae.
              You're just asking for a tsuki, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
                You're just asking for a tsuki, too!
                oohh, stick to chudan then eek lol

Comment

I was just thinking.

In wakigamae, the sword is held in line with the opponent's line of sight so that he can't see the sword's length.

how about holding the sword in jodan the way?

Just a wild thought here.

Comment

I did a random geiko wit my father, who was taught all the positions. and he did a waki on me. I didnt know what to do. He told me, "if you attack, theres the high risk of getting hit before you know it." To tell you the difference in our skill, my father is a shodan (since 1974-75, never ranked cuz that man got his rank in korea and when he came to the states, he didnt know when all the events were), and I am a 6kyu (started about 10-11 months ago).

Comment

Originally posted by JoonShik
                      I did a random geiko wit my father, who was taught all the positions. and he did a waki on me. I didnt know what to do. He told me, "if you attack, theres the high risk of getting hit before you know it." To tell you the difference in our skill, my father is a shodan (since 1974-75, never ranked cuz that man got his rank in korea and when he came to the states, he didnt know when all the events were), and I am a 6kyu (started about 10-11 months ago).
                      Well there's always the risk of getting hit before you know it, it's called "debana". I think you'd pretty much need superhuman speed to do the following:
                      1. Go from wakigamae into jodan (quite some distance for the shinai to travel), assuming it's like yohonme.
                      2. Shomen-uchi (fast from jodan)
                      And he has to do those two in the time that you have to raise your shinai a bit, and let it drop on his men.

I think he was just trying to scare you. Think about it, he has to move his shinai in an arc of pi rad, you just gotta do a nice small quick menuchi... It also depends on your maai ofcourse, assuming you are in toma or issoku ito no maai you are definately in the advantage against wakigamae.

Comment

Originally posted by Berugijin
                        Well there's always the risk of getting hit before you know it, it's called "debana". I think you'd pretty much need superhuman speed to do the following:
                        1. Go from wakigamae into jodan (quite some distance for the shinai to travel), assuming it's like yohonme.
                        2. Shomen-uchi (fast from jodan)
                        And he has to do those two in the time that you have to raise your shinai a bit, and let it drop on his men.

I think he was just trying to scare you. Think about it, he has to move his shinai in an arc of pi rad, you just gotta do a nice small quick menuchi... It also depends on your maai ofcourse, assuming you are in toma or issoku ito no maai you are definately in the advantage against wakigamae.
                        As far as I know, normally a kenshi (in the old time) that assume wakigamae will strike upward diagonal right from the wakigamae position. No need to go to Jodan. Hasso no kamae and wakigamae ussually cut in diagonal.

Comment

I think from wakigamae, it's possible to go for a quick do, not men, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Kanoken
                            I think from wakigamae, it's possible to go for a quick do, not men, don't you think?
                            yes, it's possible. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Kanoken
                              While it's not orthodox technique (That i know.) You could strike men. Although, I do not take kendo, and I shouldn;t be talking, but I'd try waki no kamae, at least once.

Comment

Working...
                              X