Start Jōdan trainging?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Jōdan trainging?

I have given it a bit of thought lately and would like to spice up my "move set" per say and have been looking into Jodan posture. I fought a Jodan user in a tournament last week and it really intrigued me. I have been training for about 1 year is it to early to start a new posture? If that is not the case can any Jodan users give me some training pointers, thanks for the help.

Way too early I'd say. After only one year of Chudan training, I'd say stick with that first. Of course, this all varies from dojo to dojo, but in many instances Jodan is a stance that is explored once you reach Yundansha level at a minimum.

Comment

The general advice is to wait until you have a solid base in chudan, say at least 3 dan, before changing unless you have a good reason, such as a physical problem that prevents you from playing in chudan.

Having said that, what we say doesn't matter, it's what your sensei says. The majority of sensei don't have enough knowledge to teach how to play from jodan, and I include myself in this category despite having spent a year or so experimenting with jodan.

Comment

Indeed. Unless you have a teacher who understands, and regularly uses, Jodan, well then there's not much point in continuing down that route.

Comment

Ok, thank you to those who replied i understand that it is most likely to early to start it, my sensei does use it from time to time though and i will still put the bug in his ear about it so that maybe in the future he can help me out when the time comes, but once again thank you for the input, much appreciated

Comment

"Starting" jodan training is the same as chudan training. Seeing them as different is a bit of a pity. Solid ki-ken-tai-ichi, strong seme, a good sense of maai, reading your opponent, etc are developped in chudan and are also the basis of jodan. Although the kamae itself looks flashy, there are actually less waza available and more reliance on those more difficult to develop ontological aspects of kendo. So you could say playing jodan is simplifying kendo rather than spicing it up.
            Last edited by dillon; 8th June 2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

Good day! I know most of the Kendo ka practicing jodan are using Hidari Jodan. Would someone confirm to me if using Migi jodan would also be possible?

Thanks!

Comment

Hidari-jodan has a reach advantage when employing katate-waza. If you hold a shinai the right handed way (e.g., the way everyone is taught), the reach advantage for a katate-waza in migi-jodan reduces as the hand holding the shinai is on the trailing foot side instead of leading foot side. That's fine and I've heard of a certain British 7dan switching between migi-jodan and chudan and back mid-shiai (unconventionally and much to aite's annoyance) when he was a national squad member. However, the reduction in maai advantage is enough to favor hidari jodan.

Historically in kenjutsu, jodan was hidari-morote (hidari probably makes more sense with ma-hanmi and generating cutting vector) as katate kirioroshi is a bit impractical with a real sword. I've heard an explanation that in nihon-kendo-no-kata ipponme, the reason uchidachi cuts first from hidari-jodan is that in the case of morote waza migi-jodan has a timing advantage (step forward is shorter as it's putting the right foot forward in one step while hidari-jodan has to travel twice the distance). Therefore, uchidachi is under pressure to stage a pre-emptive attack.

This article mentions a migi-jodan with hands reversed though (mirror of classic hidari-jodan): http://kenshi247.net/blog/2016/03/02...ook-project-1/
                Last edited by dillon; 10th June 2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Migi-jodan with hands reversed is gyaku-jodan, same as hands-reversed chudan is gyaku-chudan.

Comment

Working...
                  X