X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedan

I was recently watching my sensei doing jigeiko and noticed an occasional use of gedan.

Are there any advantages of using gedan in shiai?
    What is its main purposes?

i think there are many advantages to gedan. if your opponent is in chudan he wont be able to get into you because he would imaple himself . My master uses gedan every once and awhile and it is very hard to get around it.a lot of times i run in to get a men and he dodges and hits my men . i just have to get as fast as him.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfofMibu
      i think there are many advantages to gedan. if your opponent is in chudan he wont be able to get into you because he would imaple himself . My master uses gedan every once and awhile and it is very hard to get around it.a lot of times i run in to get a men and he dodges and hits my men . i just have to get as fast as him.
      Impale himself...like...his leg? Maybe I'm thinking of holding the gedan a little higher...But to Akai Bushi: gedan is usually used to sort of suprise your opponent with your intent. I got this next part from a website: While it may look like a defensive posture, it is an attack posture able to deflect an opponents attack and create striking opportunities. I also think it says gedan is a transition position to do attacks like a tsuki.

Comment

yeah, what i meant was that you would almost stab yourself in the leg when you charge into gedan. that is if they stay in that postition.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfofMibu
          yeah, what i meant was that you would almost stab yourself in the leg when you charge into gedan. that is if they stay in that postition.
          Aren't legs illegal targets?

Comment

Originally posted by jackchen
            Aren't legs illegal targets?
            yes i believe so.......

Comment

Gedan-no-kamae

I am not a sensei, but here's what I undersand about gedan.

In gedan, the kensen should be quite low. The advantage is that you can cut upward very powerfully. I hesitate to say it's the "opposite of Jodan," but in comparison, you can see that if the kensen is too high in gedan, you loose the power of the kamae, just as if you were half way in between Chudan and Jodan.

In Kendo, from Gedan you can parry with enough strength to knock your opponent's shinai from his hands, or at least move it way off center. The big disadvantage is that once you adopt gedan, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you back up because close up, moving between gedan and chudan leaves you open.

Don't adopt gedan unless you have some idea of what you can do after you parry with an upward cut. If you don't make an offensive move after the upward parry, you'll probably wind up receiving men.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartwilson
                Don't adopt gedan unless you have some idea of what you can do after you parry with an upward cut. If you don't make an offensive move after the upward parry, you'll probably wind up receiving men.
                I'd be scared to do it in the first place...just leaving men that open for even a split second would make me very uncomfortable. Maybe I just need some more experience with it though.

Comment

if you suddenly go into gedan, your opponent will think of it as an opening (if he's a noob) and go for men, but since you're ready to counter, he'll fall into your 'trap'...

guess its a sorta mukamae...

Comment

It's effective against chudan

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                    if you suddenly go into gedan, your opponent will think of it as an opening (if he's a noob) and go for men, but since you're ready to counter, he'll fall into your 'trap'...

guess its a sorta mukamae...
                    There is no reason for "suddendly" to into gedan.
                    It can work even you use it since the beginning of the match.
                    Besides, the opponent will become very confuse.

MG

Comment

Don't they use gedan in isshu shiai?

Comment

I don't know if it is my imagination, but going gedan or jodan seems to draw some people closer, it is like they use the shinai in chudan as a maai measurement, and they step closer without being aware.

Comment

Besides, the opponent will become very confuse.
                          that's the point, to confuse your opponent...

Comment

I'm not a sensei eiter, but I use Gedan often, both in jigeiko and shai, in my case it's clearly a strong atack kamae, as I can do stong seme on the adversary, pressing them into making a movement, it allows me to break their distance calculation, to hide my shinai under theirs, can go fast to men from there, and allows some suriage waza.

Also, as your shinai is not on the way, it's difficult to receive hara, maki or otoshi waza.

Cons, leaves your men and tsuki wide open. If the other guy knows what he is doing it's a risk.

I don't use it all the time, but sometimes when I try to enter and score a point.

Comment

Tato.. when doing gedan, how low do you put your shinai?
                              just interested..

about waist level, knee level, or all the way to ankle level?

Comment

Working...
                              X