X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you score your points?

When you're at a shiai, what do you score the most points off of? (Like Men, Kote, Do or Tsuki)

Personally I prefer to go for the Do. I've scored a few points that way and I like it because most people go for something else like kote.

At the last taikai, I did a calculation after words and here's the statistics of my points. ~ 40% kote uchi, 40% doh uchi, and 20% men uchi.

Comment

The last one I went in was 50% kote / men. I tried dou and tsuki once or twice, but it didn't score (grrr) so I didn't bother with them much. Mostly in shiai its that way.

Comment

100% men in the last shiai I did, halfish of them hiki men. In fact exactly half 'coz I only scored 2 points that day

Last time I scored dou was over 15 years ago!! Never tried tsuki as only a few ever strike successfully in training.

Comment

Mine was 100% men (6-forward men, mostly debana-waza). "-_-
          Last edited by KenShi_JoB; 12th June 2005, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Probably about 25% kote, 75% men.

Jakob

Comment

100% hansoku. something like five half-points in three shiai; fourish by backing the opponent out, one by landing him on his back.

i used to be such a nice young man.
              Last edited by ginger_justice; 12th June 2005, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I haven't scored many points (5 or 6) in shiai and all of them have been men. I don't count hansoku as scoring.

Comment

Yeha I don't really count Hanoku as scoring either. The only time I REALLY try to take advantage of hansoku is if I know the person is more skilled but smaller and easier to push out, I've scored a point in this fashion. Kinda ashamed because the girl was right on the line and I gave a sharp push on the tsuba and she flew like five feet out of the ring.

Comment

I don't think I've ever scored with hansoku... I usually score with kote I think...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernKendoka
                      I don't count hansoku as scoring.
                      whilst i agree hansoku's a less-than-lovely way of earning one's dinner, i never considered lying down the shiaijo particularly good form, either. the ability to stand up would seem to be a fairly basic element of kendo. that's why we spend all that time on solid footwork...

Comment

100% kote men...

i dno why, but i've never scored a men on its own, or a kote on its own, all 5 times its been kote-men nidan waza...

Comment

Doh!

The last tournament I competed and watched, almost nobody scored with do...whilst debana kote was given quite regularly. Is it significantly harder trying to score with do? I noticed some dan players didn't even bother attempting do.

This is from a beginner's observations...

Comment

at the watchet seminar in the UK a few weeks ago, o'sullivan-sensei pointed out that the vast majority of points in shiai come from kote, with a decidedly smaller number of cuts to men. he said that dos are pretty rare, and tsukis even more so.

as i understood it, one of the main factors in this is the question of separation; people don't get far enough away fast enough after do cuts, so even a good, cleanly-targetted cut more often than not ends up being cancelled out by a lack of clear water between cutter and cuttee.

someone correct me if i'm wrong on that, watchet seems an awfully long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger_justice
                              at the watchet seminar in the UK a few weeks ago, o'sullivan-sensei pointed out that the vast majority of points in shiai come from kote, with a decidedly smaller number of cuts to men.
                              I don't think this is necessarily true... I've done score keeping for the world championship, the bowden, and plenty of student matches in japan, and I can't say that I've noticed this as a general trend.

Comment

Working...
                              X