X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with kata...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for descriptions/diagrams of the AUSKF/AJKF kata to use as a reference? I'm trying to remember the sequence of movements for ipponme to practice, but I swear I'm forgetting something.

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Yo. The Kendo-World main page has links to videos. The vid section has all the kata in there. Hope that helps.

Comment

I completely forgot to look there! *smacks himself in the forehead*

Domo arigato gozaimasu! *bows*

Comment

This DVD is good :
        http://www.yamazato-videos.com/Detai...=34&category=2
        All Japan Kendo Federation Nihon Kendo Kata

Comment

Hi Skippy-san, I like to much the book of Paul Budden (from UK), but I know only title and editor of the italian edition ("i kata" by ed. Mediterranee)

Comment

Looking at a far mountain

by Paul Budden

A fantastic book

Comment

I found this website with animated gif pictures of the kata:

http://macaukendo.org/read/kata2.html

it's probably not as elaborate as the books and videos (and I can't read japanese, so I don't understand the comments for the different steps) - and it's not really suitable for learning kata or studying the 'deeper meaning' of certain waza.
              But it's something I load up at work every now and then to 'study' the rough structure of the katas, something that helps me to remember things like the kamae of certain kata or the order of steps (since I tend to forget things like initial tsuki in kata 6 and 7 etc.).
              Last edited by ReKru; 14th June 2005, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shred_lord
                Looking at a far mountain

by Paul Budden

A fantastic book
                Though by Paul's own admission a little out of date now. Last time I spoke to him about it he said he was thinking about revising it to reflect recent changes in kata, but that was all I heeard of it. Maybe I should push a little next time I see him...

Comment

Thanks for all of the great resources!

Comment

Cool, though I have only just got the original, it would be great to see an update.

To be honest, I use his book more for revising the physical aspects, so I don't waste dojo time having to be told the moves and can concentrate on form and feeling (and keeping my bloody cut big on ipponme!)

Having said that, the insights and advise in the book are great, I'd love to see these expanded upon. In particular, I'd like to see a chapter on the overal feeling expressed by motodachi, for example the concept that you don't just let you partner express his zanshin or behave in a defeated manner after the cut, you test their zanshin while expressing your own zanshin. (I find motodachi the harder role)

Comment

I've been using the Nippon Kendo Kata Manual published by the AJKF. It's in Japanese AND English, and it not only shows the movements, it explains the reasons for each move.

I bought my copy through E-bogu, but you may be able to find it elsewhere. There are probably more sources for kata than that manual, as the previous posters have stated.

Comment

I snagged this kata book when I ordered my new "kendo clothes" recently. It is quite simple--several pictures of the kata from the side and some comment. I found it was enough to help rebuild those memories from kata practice. http://www.e-bogu.com/Kendo_Kata_Boo...katabook--.htm

Kendo-World has a kata book listed in their publications page too. I haven't seen it, but it looked interesting, as every kendo book in English does (kinda makes you want to learn to read Japanese ).

Comment

Thanks DarQik

Comment

Skippy,

Videos and books are good as reminders but they will never tell you whether you are doing it right. Why don't you ask a sempai in your dojo!

:-)

m

PS Paul Budden nearly knows too much about kata.... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_St_A
                              Videos and books are good as reminders but they will never tell you whether you are doing it right. Why don't you ask a sempai in your dojo!
                              We only meet once a week (on Sundays), and I need to practice it before then. I think I will, however, try to e-mail Mead Sensei and ask him.

Comment

Working...
                              X