X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Against jodan...some observations

I am a low ranking kendoist but I noticed that when fighitng against jodan, players often move the tip of their shinai to the right. Presumably to protect kote.

now my question is: is hidari kote not a valid point? I know I dont hit it in seinenbu division, but I think I read that hidari do is a valid point in some situations.

you are right, both kotes are okay. but the jodan person canonly hit your right, so aiming to the left and opening up a line to your kote isnt very smart, unless you are trying to do some kind of nuki waza. did you get to see tenken at the mililani tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by misterkurukuru
      you are right, both kotes are okay. but the jodan person canonly hit your right, so aiming to the left and opening up a line to your kote isnt very smart, unless you are trying to do some kind of nuki waza. did you get to see tenken at the mililani tournament?
      Hmmmm, I think only right kote are valid if you are in chudan.

Comment

but the jodan person canonly hit your right, so aiming to the left and opening up a line to your kote isnt very smart, unless you are trying to do some kind of nuki waza.
        Not quite. When the chudan player points his kensen to the jodan player's migi-kote, it actually creates a rather awkward angle for the jodan player to try to hit the chudan player's migi-kote, even though it would seem that it's wide open. So as a chudan player, if you alternate your seme between the jodan player's hidari-kote and migi-kote, it can be quite effective in tunneling through to the right distance and also keeping the jodan player on the defensive. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Comment

I asked my sensei the same question about the left and right kote points. He said that the only way to the left kote is if your opponent is in jodan or your opponent is raising his hands in a way of doing a big suburi, ex. big men.

Comment

the question is WHEN FIGHTING A JODAN PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            NOT "when doing jodan and hitting kote"

when people move there kensen around or try funky stuff on tenken he just hits a men, as would most GOOD poeple that do jodan
            Last edited by misterkurukuru; 29th June 2005, 02:52 AM.

Comment

ahh were you one of the people who visisted from the mainland?

Comment

the question is WHEN FIGHTING A JODAN PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT "when doing jodan and hitting kote"
                Sorry, I misread it. my fault!

Comment

its okay, and you are right about what you are talking about

Comment

yesI was part of the SCI group

Comment

Working...
                    X