Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kusari-Gama Vs ...

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/ryuseiken/vs/index.htm

Never seen this done before, although I have heard of it.
    Looks fun.

Just sharing.. Paulo

dude its hella bogu damaging

Comment

I have seen this before.. Pretty cool still...

Comment

Since its not so clear, i couldnt realy tell if the flail (ball and chain) was connecting a lot. If anyone has better eyes than me, let me know, who was winning?

Comment

YES!!! RYUSEIKEN ROCKS!!!! My sensei trained under Mitsuhiro. However, Mitsuhiro's Goza record has been outdone already.

Well only swordsmanship。 ^^
          Last edited by Charuzu; 14th July 2005, 07:41 AM.

Comment

wow wow wow, nice one

Comment

hmmm

Originally posted by emitbrownne

Looks fun.

Just sharing.. Paulo
              Cannot see very well due to the quality of the movie...
              But seems they are not considering the "effect" of the heavy piece of iron in the end of the chain (kusari). Of course in this healthy fight it was replaced by a soft thing, but if real it can easily break your bones in the first impact, even if you try to defend with the katana.

MG

Comment

If you read Ellis Amdur's "Old School" he discusses his experience with using Kusarigama. I would agree with Amdur sensei that the weight would probably not inflict signifigant damage (i.e. Broken bones). It is just not that heavy, and there are real limits to the speed that can be generated with this weapon. IMHO, I would fear the blade of the sickle far more than I would the weight and chain. In my reading (all in english, sadly) I have yet to come across any documented duels where this weapon was used and was victorious. I think that iit was more likely an Edo-jidai curiosity than a serious weapon (although it is a lot of fun).

Comment

Depends

Originally posted by Bruce Mitchell
                  If you read Ellis Amdur's "Old School" he discusses his experience with using Kusarigama. I would agree with Amdur sensei that the weight would probably not inflict signifigant damage (i.e. Broken bones). It is just not that heavy, and there are real limits to the speed that can be generated with this weapon. IMHO, I would fear the blade of the sickle far more than I would the weight and chain. In my reading (all in english, sadly) I have yet to come across any documented duels where this weapon was used and was victorious. I think that iit was more likely an Edo-jidai curiosity than a serious weapon (although it is a lot of fun).
                  There are schools of kusarigama that uses heavy ones.
                  I have experienced a duel, the opponent was using a leather pack. And still the pain was terrible. I think there was a demonstration in Europa few years ago with one kusarigama sensei, breaking pots with his weapon. Imagine if it was your head...! ouch...

MG

Comment

Originally posted by emitbrownne

Looks fun.

Just sharing.. Paulo
                    As a 10th dan ninja dude, the kusarigama is one of a possible set of weapons to use. Ninjitsu vs. kendo.... ninja win, kendo lose.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_god
                      one kusarigama sensei, breaking pots with his weapon. Imagine if it was your head...! ouch...MG
                      as with all flexible weapon - the key to success is maai (distance). if you are so lucky that you hit - you won (kill you opponent), but if not and you opponent come close to your any flexible weapon fall down in effectiveness. and here comes you sword...

imagine that this pots dont stay still and moves randomly and trys to hit you. of course if you train hard 20 years you hit flying pots, but training 20 years with sword gives much better practical results. thats why such a weapon dont find wide spread

Comment

Hehe that was a pretty cool video. Close distance weapons are nice, especially when they can lock yours down. Getting in range is hard, I used to play alot of S.C.P. Which may be a bit better known as S.C.A. except a bit less intense. Anyway, in that, it was hard to take down the people using polearms, basically naginata, if you had a sword. but if you had a two hander a duel wielder can easily take you down.... Thing is it's hard to get in close enough to make helpless your opponent. Not an easy task, but once you get it down right, it's beautiful :P

Comment

Originally posted by mad_god
                          There are schools of kusarigama that uses heavy ones.
                          I have experienced a duel, the opponent was using a leather pack. And still the pain was terrible. I think there was a demonstration in Europa few years ago with one kusarigama sensei, breaking pots with his weapon. Imagine if it was your head...! ouch...

MG
                          I'm not saying that I don't think that it would inflict injury, only that the injuries inflicted would be unlikely to incapacitate. As for the use of a heaveir weight, it can only be so heavy before it loses it's effectiveness. Again, I wouldn't want to be hit by one, but in a life and death fight, with adrenaline and endorphines surging through the body, the damage from the weight alone is unlikely to end the fight. Read "Black Hawk Down" and you will get some pretty graphic descriptions of the types of horredeous wounds that people in combat can and do receive, and continue fighting.

As for flower pots...it's fun to watch, but my four year old can demolish them with no problem. Try whacking one with a shinai, I bet it would break just as readily. What the flower but demonstration is about is the accuracy of the person using the weapon, not the power of it.

I think that the tie breaker in this arguement will be if someone can supply a historically verified acccount of the succesful use of the weapon in a duel.

As for Hai's comments, sorry dude but "ninja's" weilding fantastic weapons have the same historical credibility of Klingon warriors.

Comment

As for Hai's comments, sorry dude but "ninja's" weilding fantastic weapons have the same historical credibility of Klingon warriors.
                            I'm sure there were some Ninja that used some pretty neat weapons. though the majority of course probably did just do the simple assassin act with a katana tanto and mini crossbow, or something of that sort. Meh, I don't know though, but I'm just sure some of them would go the extra length to have a pretty weapon :P

Comment

D00d! it' Hai_hai..... he's joking -_-

Comment

Working...
                              X