X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiten-Mitsurugi Ryu

Is Hiten-Mitsurugi Ryu an actual style? If it is, then is it still taught? (Yes, I'm one of those "Rurouni Kenshin" manga fans. Please don't shun me!)

Theres been like 897234978234078352384735733479 threads on this topic.

Comment

Found this Article online. Looks intresting...

http://articles.theotaku.com/view.ph...etrieve&id=481

Rurouni Kenshin is a popular historical fiction anime, but many of the characters and events really existed. The whole time period, the Meiji Era, were in the mid 1800s after the revolution overthrowing the old system of society. Western cultures began to seep in much to the dismay of some traditionalists. Also, many characters have existed or were based on historical figures although their true story might be a little different.

Probably the character in Rurouni Kenshin that is most accurately portrayed compared to his historical counterpart is Hajime Saitou. He lived from 1844-1915 and was the captain of the third unit of the Shinsengumi, just like in the show. It was reported he was a skilled swordsman excelling in a left handed thrust. This however was not the Gatotsu. After the chaos of the revolution, he joined the police force under the alias of Goro Fujita. This alias and occupation is mirrored in the anime as well. Because of his sword skill he was also given special permission to wield a katana versus the sabers the police force used. The early history of his life is slightly distorted, it was never confirmed if he was a son of a ronin or he if had killed someone (possibly by accident) and then joined the army in Kyoto. It is said he was introverted and mysterious, even dubbed a sort of executioner since he assassinated many corrupt members of his own group and the police force.

The protaganist, Himura Kenshin/Shinta is a shadow of Gensai Kawakami. Kawakami was an assassin for the Choushu clan during the revolution and was said to be the most terrible of the 4 great assassins. There were mentions on how he could have been mistaken as a girl at first glance, but descriptions of his personality said otherwise. He was cold and calculating, famous for assassinating Kuma Shozan in broad daylight. His sword style was Furanui of kenjutsu, which used lightning fast movements like the Hiten Mitsurugi style. Gensai Kawakami met his end in 1871when his ideals clashed with the Meiji government and he was executed on false charges.

Another character with a prominent historical background is Makoto Shishio, or Serizawa Kamo. He was educated in swordsmanship since he was young and generally carried a bad name. In 1860 he joined the Tengo-to and rose to be a main member. The Tengu-to was an extremist group against foreigners, they followed the ideal sonno joi which meant revere the emperor and expel the foreigners. However, the group was disbanded and jailed when power ties shifted. Later on, Kamo was released from jail and then went on to become one of the founders for the Shinsengumi, the group who opposed the revolutionists. He was known for his bad temper and cruel punishments. One time while he was part of the Tengu-to he found out 3 lower members had broken the rules and personally beheaded them. This cruelty was manifested in Shishios actions and personality.

Last but not least, is the historical double of Sojirou Seta, one of Shishios men. Souji Okita was a kenjutsu prodigy, becoming an instructor at age 18. He was considered one of the strongest of the Shinsengumi along with Hajime Saito and Nagakura Shinpachi. He died of tuberculosis at age 25 in a hospital in Edo. The anime doesnt quite do his historical counterpart justice, as the protagonist of Peacemaker Kurogane there is far more detail there.

So there you have it. Its fascinating to see the historical counterparts of characters in Rurouni Kenshin. The contrasts between the fictional face and the person who really existed make excellent food for thought.

Comment

A liner note to that is that that article was a bit off in that Okita was portrayed as himself in the OVA trust and betrayel

Comment

noooooooo. the question from hell arises again.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Rurouni_Richard
            Please don't shun me!)
            Don't worry! Also of us here got into this becuse of that series! Besides we are all family here! ^o^

Comment

you must gather your chakra first, then form the correct signs in sequence.... oh wait, sorry wrong series.

Comment

Originally posted by Rurouni_Richard
                Is Hiten-Mitsurugi Ryu an actual style? If it is, then is it still taught? (Yes, I'm one of those "Rurouni Kenshin" manga fans. Please don't shun me!)
                Just a friendly warning that you're probably going to get a lot of flak for this. You have no idea how many people have asked this question. My recommendation is to make a search for Hittenmitsugi-ryu, read them, and just use the search in general to see if your question has already been answered. Don't take any comments negatively, it's just we've had a few too many Otaku ask us this before.

Comment

i doubt that hiten mitsurigui is an actual style. The manga (or anime) has very, very loose historical ties in terms of characters, and some of the moves are based off real (just extremely exaggerated), but thats as far as it goes. Even if it ever did exist, i seriously doubt that it would be taught today.

Comment

in short the Hiten-Mitsurugi Ryu as well as Kenshin are both Fictional representations of Gensai Kawakami and his own style Furanui Kenjutsu which is said to have died when he was executed by the Meiji Governmant. Nothing supernatural or godlike about it, simply a very fast hitokiri style which were common in that age.

Comment

There is a Hiten Mitsurugi style! Ive seen someone move so fast and jump so high that he can stand on your sword without you knowing it before you can say MEN! He says he trains by jumping over mountains and racing automobiles. Gosh I wish i knew how to fight like him.

Comment

Originally posted by samurai999
                        noooooooo. the question from hell arises again.

Tim
                        Actually the question from hell for me is "do we play or practice kendo?" Gets my goat everytime, yet everytime I feel the need to reply!

Comment

i wonder how many people started kendo to "learn the secrets of hiten mitsurigi"...no offense intended...just a rhetorical question

Comment

You know what? I'm gonna start teaching Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu at my secret dojo. There is so many people who wanna learn it, I could make a sodding fortune. Anyone got any tapes they can lend me so I can formulate a curriculum?

Comment

Working...
                            X